Parents Getting Evaluated at another Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You’re putting words in my mouth. I want to be prepared if she doesn’t make the team to move her. I really don’t want to move her (even if she doesn’t make it I may not move her).

No I was pretty clear it was my opinion and just the sense I get from your posts. I tend to think you want to and will ultimately move her. Either way, family decision......... Neither is a wrong answer. Neither has to be forever.

NY dad, I pulled both my girls from practice for the entire month of August due to family travel while they were preteam through when they had finished competing old L4/ (current L3) - 3 summers. I probably would have done it all the way through the end of compulsory levels except we moved from a state where the compulsory season was in the spring to one where the state meet is in November, which made missing August harder. In those early years, there were so many girls missing for multiple weeks of travel in August at the compulsory levels, it just wasn't a big deal, even though we were at a pretty competitive gym. I just share this because if you are in NY and the compulsory season is spring, taking off a few weeks in August will not likely impede your daughter's progress. At least for my girls, even though they love gymnastics, they came back refreshed and eager to go in September after taking August off, and I liked that their young bodies had some rest. Best of luck!

NY dad, I pulled both my girls from practice for the entire month of August due to family travel while they were preteam through when they had finished competing old L4/ (current L3) - 3 summers. I probably would have done it all the way through the end of compulsory levels except we moved from a state where the compulsory season was in the spring to one where the state meet is in November, which made missing August harder. In those early years, there were so many girls missing for multiple weeks of travel in August at the compulsory levels, it just wasn't a big deal, even though we were at a pretty competitive gym. I just share this because if you are in NY and the compulsory season is spring, taking off a few weeks in August will not likely impede your daughter's progress. At least for my girls, even though they love gymnastics, they came back refreshed and eager to go in September after taking August off, and I liked that their young bodies had some rest. Best of luck!
Yep

Why not a move? Convenience, hours, other activities mixed with gymnastics? Just curious.........
No kid ever wants to move, but once they do it's like they forgot why they didn't want to go. If you want your DD on team, the sooner the better because the more time that goes by, the harder it is.

Absolutely. Particularly the bolded above. If I've seen any common theme on CB over the last few years, it from parents who wish they knew more early on and hadn't missed opportunities. I think the crux of this conversation is to encourage you to examine the whole program and be sure this is what you and your gymmie want. If so, that's great! If you think you might want more, now is the time to start looking for that.

I feel like most (at least many?) of us have switched gyms at some point. It's a really hard decision, but we have to do what we believe is best for our kids. Like many have said, it's all about what works for NYdad's DD and family. Lots of good advice here. Good luck, @NY Dad !!

I think I have now said on two or three different threads about this gym that the way the gym trains its L2s is far less relevant in determining how far OP's daughter can get than how it trains its L7+s. Some gyms try to keep preteam pretty light and focused on skills, not bothering to perfect competition routines until a little later. A L2 child's not having a serious, rigorous summer training program is not the same as a L7 child's being advised to take the summer off. With the information that NY Dad has posted, none of us are in any position to advise him one way or the other about whether this gym is capable of taking his daughter successfully into optionals.

I agree with Profmom that none here are in a position to advise. To my recollection, you have not shared any info on whether this gym has a successful optionals program. This is one thing that you should be taking into consideration. Also...if I recall, your DD is 7/8, right? An 8 year old L2 is certainly not old, but depending on her readiness on when she might be ready for L4, could be deemed too old for some gyms if you look to change in a few years and she is a L4. Like Ld4mlo, I also get the impression that you are looking for a reason to change (my opinion only) but that could just be a reaction to how you seem to thoroughly analyze and research things.

Reactions: sce
I agree with Profmom that none here are in a position to advise. To my recollection, you have not shared any info on whether this gym has a successful optionals program. This is one thing that you should be taking into consideration. Also...if I recall, your DD is 7/8, right? An 8 year old L2 is certainly not old, but depending on her readiness on when she might be ready for L4, could be deemed too old for some gyms if you look to change in a few years and she is a L4. Like Ld4mlo, I also get the impression that you are looking for a reason to change (my opinion only) but that could just be a reaction to how you seem to thoroughly analyze and research things.

Yes, I think that's the point a couple of us were trying to make. We don't know how the OP gym is in upper levels but now might be a good time to look into it and possibly move if that is what they are looking for in the future.

Thanks again to everyone that has responded and provided different ideas/perspectives/personal experiences. Reading through these and then thinking through my response has been how I’ve formulated my own opinion about what to do. Without all the help from everyone on CB I wouldn’t even know where to start. I would much rather be able to make an informed decision through this research than be clueless. It’s not a sign that I’m unhappy with her current gym or that I want to switch gyms. (I enjoy research, I do it with other things too LOL)

Several CBers pointed out that I should not make the decision based on how her gym trains level 2-3 but I should consider how they do at the optional levels. Incidentally, I assume since the summer clinics are only for the girls rising into level 3 and below, that the higher levels do train all year. That’s something I still need to confirm.

I understand that if I know that I am going to switch gyms at some point, the sooner the better because the more time that goes by the harder it is for the kid (+ parent) and the sooner they are in a better gym (situation).

There are some factors that I don’t want to mention here b/c I don’t want to be too identifiable. Right now I don’t think her gym is holding her back. I think they were great with her while she had a broken arm and then working with her at her pace to start to overcome her fears. She’s a super hard worker but due to her fear issues new skills and even some she had before have been slow to return. She’s gotten to know and trust the coaches. I don’t want to push her too much at this stage b/c she doesn’t love any other activity as much as gymnastics. Also, I fear her body type and age (8) would probably exclude her from very competitive gyms.

That doesn’t mean that I’ll never change gyms, it’s just not my plan right now. If she doesn’t make the team I might get her evaluated elsewhere b/c I don’t think there would be much to lose.

Sorry to anyone that felt like they gave me the same advice multiple times. I really do read (and reread) everything.

I don't think you need to apologize! You come across to me as a very caring parent who wants to make the best informed decision you can. Know better, do better. Nothing wrong with that! Best wishes to your daughter!
^^^ Totally agree! Excellent advice per usual by @Flyaway .There is no crystal ball in this crazy sport, so all we can do is the best we can when making decisions about it. You are gathering information, digesting it, and considering what is best for your child. And sometimes circumstances change, and you're wise to be aware of that. Good luck to you, @NY Dad !

NY Dad, i like your honesty.....if your dd is having fear issues at this stage of the game, a switch to a higher intensity gym might be a mistake. As far as taking a week here or there off......it's a drop in the bucket. Enjoy your time away from the gym and remember, bike riding, swimming and climbing trees is AS important to every gymnast as training.......you can't have one without the other.

I'm the OP. Thanks for asking.

I just found out that my dd did not make the team.:(:confused: It makes me a little sad because it makes me feel like they gave up on her. I was honestly not expecting to be in this position.

Last week they had a year-end show for all the non-competitive invite-only classes so we could all see the fruits of all their hard work. She looked amazing to me. I realize she didn't have every skills but I guess they just didn't see what I saw.

I would have thought my dd would have been more upset but she didn't have much of a reaction to the news. She's not happy about having to spend another year preparing to try out for the team again but she understands that it's really competitive and not everyone will make it.

Thanks to everyone that has chimed in and helped me try to understand the process.

Ok, this really annoys me. NY Dad- if your daughter wants to be on a team, take her somewhere else! Gymnastics is for everyone at this level! And this is a Y team too, right? The way that this was handled was really poor imo. Find a gym with an excel, AAU, USAIG team and take her there! I am sure that there are PLENTY of places that would be happy to have her!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back