Getting grips? What brand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm one of those people that rips almost every practice, and if I don't rip, I usually have sore hands while working bars. Most of the rips come from working kips. I know that grips do not prevent rips, but I was thinking that they might lessen the soreness and "burning" sensation (I'm often wearing a tape grip anyway).

I'm a level 5, and a couple of my teammates have grips and a couple don't. I don't think there's a specific brand that everyone in the gym buys, and they don't sell grips in their pro shop, so I'd have to order online. Does anyone have any suggestions for what brand to use? I tried ordering some grips a few months back but they were in the wrong size... ^^; I have big hands.

As a parent, I would say to ask your coaches. At our gym, the coaches want the gymnasts to have very specific grips. Also, the coach can measure your hand to find the right size. Size is very important. I know that at most gyms in our area, gymnasts are not allowed to wear grips until the coach tells them to. Sometimes it's level 5, sometimes it's level 6.

As for the rips, what has worked best for my daughter is to apply a vitamin E cream to her palms every night, whether her hands are sore or not. We use the vitamin E body butter from The Body Shop.

Our gym has our gymnasts order Gibson grips, with buckles - not velcro. They also have them order neoprene wrist guards to wear with them.

Good luck!

Our older girls love Reisport and sy the velcro ones do not slip like some do. But I also recommend asking your coach for advice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back