Parents Getting on a new team??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LinnieC

Proud Parent
We will be moving this summer (hopefully) to a new state. I didn't even think this until recently, but is it typically somewhat easy or difficult to find a gym willing to accept a "transplant"? My daughter is 10 years old currently competing as a Level 5. Her sights are set for competing in college. So far she has had a great season (3 meets at this point- 2 2nd AAs and 1 1st AA). I just thought we would move, find a gym, and she would start practicing there... I was talking to someone recently and after that conversation, I am very nervous about moving. She loves gymnastics and I don't want her to suffer because of our decision to relocate. She is currently at a pretty competitive gym and don't want to go to a gym without that kind of coaching. :( Recommendations? Similar experiences? Thank you!!!

My daughter was also 10 when we moved and a level 5. Her coach actually called some gyms for us to get an idea of their program and coaching style. We visited several gyms without her to narrow things down a bit and then let her look at two. We are extremely happy with our choice but it was rough at first. New gym did not have 5 so she trained with level 6.....more hours , being at gym made her homesick for her old team.....lots of tears for a while. But she got through it....lovely new teammates that were very welcoming and great gym family.

This is my situation as well. Same age same level. Not as successful. She is not at a very competitive gym but she hopes to move to one when we relocate. I will be following this thread as well.
Good luck with the move and finding a new gym your DD loves!

Depends on where you're going, how many options there are, and the general level of competition in that area. It's probably easier to find a gym in s non-rural place and in a competitive region. Have you looked at the options in the area you're moving to? If there are only one or two gyms, you may have a harder time than if there are 12.

Most gyms will make space, particularly if you have a good competition record and you come in the off-season. Can be a bit more dicey if you're moving mid-season. Good luck on your journey!

I would probably go down early and schedule some time with several gyms in the area to learn more about their program and see if they are a good fit. Then as long as the one you choose has space, you can go ahead and secure her spot with them so she will be all set when you guys move.

You could post here where you will be moving. Many members are willing to pm with details of different gyms in that area. I would also enlist your coach's help if they are willing. If you are coming from a competitive gym, you likely will be able to get into a similarly competitive gym without too much difficulty, though from what has been posted on CB previously, depending on when you move, she may need to sit out of competing for a season. Timing of the relocation in certainly something to think about.

You will be fine! There are many great competitive gyms that are totally willing to add great gymnasts! Don't worry.....where are you moving to?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back