Parents GIANT "issues"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gotfaith

Proud Parent
*I posted this in a diff. forum to start, not sure it was the right one :) So I am double posting!!!

I have been a lurker here for a while. I am unlurking! I guess I am not sure if I need parent support or help, anything we have not tried yet would help...LOL?

Bio: my daughter just turned 11, and is level 7. We had a huge change about 9 months ago and had to switch gyms, very dramatic and difficult. Even though she did well last year (high 36 scores) she decided to stay level 7 because of the change to a new gym. Last year she had all skills and her best event was bars consistently throwing large scores. The gym we moved to has older equipment and when we moved she became nervous about the bars (not adjustable, older then she was use too) From there her fear of giants snowballed, you name it she was scarred. Though she consistently was doing and still does them on pit bar with no problem, regular bars were out of the question. As the season approached us as parents and her coaches tried many methods to help her, I mean everything sports counseling, hypnotherapy, talking about giving 100%, she is even doing the head games program with her team! Her coaches even tried to talk to her about scratching thinking that would get her motivated, seemed the more we tried the more she shut down. So we all backed off. Then visiting coach came up with a new routine that would still push her. It is not necessarily going backwards but not forwards either. Now she does a kip cast hand, free hip, free hip to hand, jump to high bar kip cast hand layout. Recently she has been frustrated with her scores ( low 9's, def getting scored lower because of the two free hips) and has indicated she wants to do her giants once again. She brought this up on her own and was super excited earlier this week when she did her giant on low bar after 2 hours, and with a great big rip ( legs bent but she did it!). Yesterday she was 100% sure and confident that she could do her high bar giants, after being on bars for over an hour she came away devastated, crying and super frustrated. She just does not know how to overcome the fear. I just do not know what to say or do anymore. She has a meet this weekend and then 2 weeks to our State meet, she wants (and needs) to move to level 8. Her coach is really trying to get her doing them before state.

Any help out there? I know she has to overcome this on her own, I am just wondering what methods you as parents/coaches have used!

I feel better just writing this!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back