WAG Good coaching or Bad coaching?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymnast-mac

Gymnast
One of my friends was looking at another gym, it's well known, nice facility and equipment. She has wanted to switch to the gym for a year now, and went for a day to try it out. I asked her how it was and she told me how one of the beam coaches started yelling at 10 year old, telling her that "she sucked" and then went on to say that she was "not going to coach her anymore because she sucked" and "she should go tell the other coaches that she wasn't making any of the corrections." I was a little shocked by this; of course coaches are supposed to give corrections and tell you what you're doing wrong, but I was surprised that the coach told the girl that she sucked.
Is this just aggressive but good coaching, and will help the girl get better, or is this bad coaching??

well... be careful what you wish for I say. Some times the grass is greener because they DUMP a bunch manure on it, if you catch my drift... And sometimes in a tryout they actually turn you away, which is what it sounds like to me. Hopefully the old club doesn't find out she tried out, because she may be without either gym...

That 10-year-old will probably quit. Wouldn't you? It sounds like emotional abuse and not any kind of "coaching." If your friend is accurately portraying what happened, then I hope she is no longer considering switching.

well... be careful what you wish for I say. Some times the grass is greener because they DUMP a bunch manure on it, if you catch my drift... And sometimes in a tryout they actually turn you away, which is what it sounds like to me. Hopefully the old club doesn't find out she tried out, because she may be without either gym...

I was a little confused at first but I think the 10 year old is not the tryout...I think she was an existing gymnast and the story was related to the OP by the girl trying out.

And of course personal attacks (I.e. You suck ) are never appropriate for instructors of any kind to use.

Bad coaching all the way. Gymnastics is a sport where you are always striving for perfection, but don't usually achieve it. In my opinion, its hard enough of a sport to feel confident in when there are encouraging people around. If you put a kid in that environment, they will have even more self esteem issues. Don't add on to it. Plus, a coach telling a gymnast they suck is not okay. Think about what would happen if a 5th grade teacher told one of their students that he/she sucks, that the teacher will not help him/her anymore because the student is struggling. It would probably make the news... so why should a coach tell that to a gymnast? Its not right.

I certainly wouldn't say the coach had an air of distinction, but would agree there was a display of an error of distinction. Sadly, this sorta thing happens, and usually because the offensive coach hasn't the sense to figure out what needs to take place to get the kid on track.

I was a little confused at first but I think the 10 year old is not the tryout...I think she was an existing gymnast and the story was related to the OP by the girl trying out.

And of course personal attacks (I.e. You suck ) are never appropriate for instructors of any kind to use.
==
ahh yes I get it now.

I have witnessed some coaches even more aggressive and insulting, but I think there is no excuse...good coaching also includes supporting the athlete emotionally and mentally - esp in this sport. Without support - the athlete will either quit or burn out or even worse - get injured. Gymnastics is as much mental as it is physical! Good gymnastics coaches are strict and disciplined not demoralizing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back