Grip Opinion

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

I'm not experienced with Bailie grips. Any opinions out there?

I am considering the Bailie Extreme combo buckle/velcro grip for my 10 yr old new kipper. This is not her first pair, she's been using dowels for a year now, size 0 Hot Shots. I like the combo of buckle and velcro, as well as the slight narrowing of the cut for smaller hands, rather than straight like Reisport. I think the narrower is easier for less advanced bar swingers. As a gymnast I liked the ability to tighten my grips with velcro easily, but now as a coach I really like the leave alone firmness of the buckle.

My own personal experience, years and years ago, were Reisport all the way. Loved them, wouldn't use anything else, but I was a teenager and advanced swinger (giants and everything) by the time I was given the ultimatum to wear them or else. Glad I caved because it made a huge difference in the aggressiveness of my swing. There really weren't many choices back then either.

Also, she is right on the button in between a Bailie size 0 and 1 (wrist to middle finger tip at 6inches). Every grip maker is different, should I size up or size down?

What are other peoples experience out there?

Ah... forgot to mention we need new grips thanks to the dog. So grip wear was not an issue for her with Hot Shots, however we are going to be doing some heavy circling this summer.

As someone who has experience with Bailies, I'd had a couple pair of just the plain velcro ones for quite some time, and they lasted forever, but it was time to get new ones, and I too, thought the combo velcro/buckle looked like a great idea. Until I tried swinging on them. Just my humble opinion, but I didn't like them. Reasons- the leather part that the straps are on is really long to accomodate for the velcro and buckle, and the leather there is super hard, so anything in front support the leather dug into the backs of my hands and wrists. Also, I don't know if it was just me, but they wouldn't stay in place either, they were always moving (twisting or sliding up and down) on my wrists, and that just drove me crazy...

So, sorry to be so negative, but I didn't have a pleasant experience, and went back to regular Bailies, which I love. Hope this helps, and hopefully someone else chimes in that has tried them.

As for sizing, as with everything for kids that are still growing, order up a size if right on the border. She won't grow out of them as fast, so they will last longer.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back