Grips?! Rips?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pinkgiraffe1594

Hi all,

I have a question regarding grips and rips. I happen to have really sensitive skin that rips A LOT. I've tried everything from using lotion to pumice stones and even taping my hands before each bars workout. So far the taping is the only thing that's prevented the rips. I'm using US-glove millennium one grips, size 2. (Love us-glove) I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

:)

In order to not get grips your hands need to be strong AND smooth. If you have any calluses at all it really ups your chances of getting a rip. I actually take a razor blade and shave off the dead skin. It works nicely.

Other than keeping your hands smooth all you can do is just work on bars more and let your hands get stronger!

:eek: not a Razor!!! So Dangerous!!!

you need to soften those and just use the pumis stone on them they will wear down. Soaking them helps get them soft so you can sand them down with the stone. You have to keep on it though if you stop with the softeners the callous will come back.

Again "Bag Balm" is our favorite for this.

Lotion, lotion, lotion

The best way I've found to avoid rips on my daugher's hands is to rub a vitamin E lotion into them every night. It keeps her hands really soft, and usually rip free. We use the vitamin E body butter from The Body Shop.
Good luck!

Same Situation:p

I know how you feel! I had the same problem and would rip practically EVERYDAY. For a while, i taped my hands every day, using kind of a "tape grip". That seemed to work pretty well. After a while i used sooo much tape and the price was crazy. I just made sure i pummiced my calluses everyday and used lots of chalk. You could also try callus shavers. Also, if you do rip, make sure you let it rest and keep it clean to avoid further damage. Good Luck!! I know it stinks!

I have a lot of girls whose hands rip when on bars. an easy fix to harden your hands and make them smooth (yes, sounds contradicting) is doing several handstands on a floor bar in between turns, and pull ups. then after each practice before you go to bed cake your hands in vasciline and put socks over your hands.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you everyone! :) Yes, the taping works, its just a pain to do everyday. I do prefer the thinner leather, does that make a difference? I like being able to feel the bar more, which is ironic because then I rip. I'm thinking that maybe when I tried the pumice stones before I didn't shave my calluses down far enough. I am now realizing how much of a difference that might make....

I'm 42 and have been back doing gymnastics for almost two years. After hurting my knee on floor, I've been concentrating on bars for a while. I can't do too much, just kips, etc. I ripped a few weeks ago and the area where the rip was is still sensitive to the touch even if I just rub it with my thumb. My hands simply ache just to do a few minutes of bars. I have a pair of grips, but I hate using them. Do I just need to toughen up and deal with it?

I'm 42 and have been back doing gymnastics for almost two years. After hurting my knee on floor, I've been concentrating on bars for a while. I can't do too much, just kips, etc. I ripped a few weeks ago and the area where the rip was is still sensitive to the touch even if I just rub it with my thumb. My hands simply ache just to do a few minutes of bars. I have a pair of grips, but I hate using them. Do I just need to toughen up and deal with it?

Are the grips broken in? You have to use them for a few weeks to fully break them in and get used to them, stick with the grips for a while. But grips won't prevent rips, it's not their purpose. So you can still rip with them!

They aren't broken in because I really hate them. I never wore grips when I competed back in the day. I always feel like they sort of bunch up and I am going to peel off the bar. They scare me.

My daughter also uses Vitamin E nightly. We use the capsules you can buy at Target or CVS in the Vitamin section and she pops them open with a pin and then just oozes the stuff out onto her hands. Then she sleeps with gloves on. She does this every night after practice. She tried the pumice stone a while back but then got a rip the next day so was convinced it was because of the pumice stone! She rarely rips anymore and when she does they are little, not the big, bloody ones she would get in the day pre grips (which she has been wearing since September.) Good luck!

My son's hands were a mess when he started level 4.

He had thick calluses beneath his ring and middle fingers as well as a ridge of callus running down the middle of his palms. I had him soak them in warm water, used nail scissors to clip out the calluses, and used a pumice stone to finish it out. Every night, he goes to bed with aquaphor on his palms and gloves on his hands (I cut the fingers out of a few pair of super cheap knit winter gloves).

If I keep up with our routine, he doesn't rip. If I let it go, even for just a few days, we have to start all over again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back