Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach makes us wear grips but I absolutely hate them especially when going to the high bar because I am always slipping (peeling) off so I was wondering if anyone knows why this happens and how do you chalk up your grips ?

I imagine they have dowels? Make sure you're compensating for the fact that you have a dowel when going to the high bar...it can be an odd transition :) You're grabbing the bar differently then you did when you weren't wearing grips. I used to over-reach and almost hit my wrists just to be sure I was catching the bar. Of course that leads to pealing off as well, but it gave me a little better idea of where to grab...somewhere in between lol. Chalking of the grips is kind of a personal thing lol. I chalk my hands, put on my grips, chalk with a chunk of chalk, plop my hands back into the chalk fully, then i chalk with the chunk of chalk again. I'm not a water user--very little occasionally

Last edited:
We usually use a lot of chalk at my gym.

Also, have you ever used a grip brush on your grips? My coach does that every once in a while to our grips if they get too smooth

Why do gymnasts use water on grips when the grip manufacturers specifically say not to?

My daughter is just learning to use grips and her coach her showing her all the things to do. After she chalked up, I saw my daughter, my sweet little blue eyed angel, SPIT onto her grips.

VOMIT

She said her coach told her it would help her stick better. Maybe water is the same way???? I don't know.

I hate spit. A lot. Like vomitously a lot.

My daughter is just learning to use grips and her coach her showing her all the things to do. After she chalked up, I saw my daughter, my sweet little blue eyed angel, SPIT onto her grips.

VOMIT

She said her coach told her it would help her stick better. Maybe water is the same way???? I don't know.

I hate spit. A lot. Like vomitously a lot.

EWWWWW.....now that is gross is to me.

I used water on my grips because I felt like it helped the chalk stick better. I really have no clue if it did or not, it was just kind of a personal preference I developed. I also only used the loose chalk from the bucket, I felt that rubbing it on with the block would make my grips slippery. That was most likely not the case, but I preferred the texture of the loose chalk and water combination.
As for your slipping, I'm really not sure why that is happening. It could be how you are grabbing the bar. How long have you had these grips? Have you given yourself enough time to fully break them in? Are they the correct size?
I would suggest you ask your coach what is going on. He/she can actually see what is happening when you are peeling off and probably give you some more accurate suggestions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back