WAG Grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LJL07

Proud Parent
DD is new to using grips. Bars is her favorite event. She does not seem crazy about the grips. Do they tend to mess kids up skillwise while they get used to them?

Grips didn't seem to affect my DD much but she got them quite early on (right after getting her kip). She was able to kip with her grips on the first day.

I think they help a lot, they are tricky to get used to a first but they get a lot easier! It just takes some time.

There is a little bit of a learning curve, but it didn't affect DD skill-wise. In fact, it helped because her rips healed and her hands were less tender.
But, DD got grips after competing L4, so she had solid kips already.

My daughter, training L6/7, just got them 2 weeks ago. According to my daughter and her coach, bars have been a mess these last 2 weeks. Today her coach told me no more grips or she was going to get too far behind.

DD is new to using grips. Bars is her favorite event. She does not seem crazy about the grips. Do they tend to mess kids up skillwise while they get used to them?
It takes some adjustment, she will get used to them.

Different kids react to them differently too. For DD it probably took a couple of weeks until she was comfortable. DS only needed a few days. But one of his teammates hated grips all summer long and only really started feeling OK in them in the fall. That guy, though, has a pretty reactive sensory system. I bet the coach is REALLY looking forward to transitioning him to the next set of rings/high bar grips!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back