WAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm going to be getting my first pair of grips, and I have some questions.
1.Is there any way of getting around sandpapering the finger holes? I'm really weird, and can't stand the feel of sandpaper. Whenever anyone pulls it out I run the other way. :p
2.About how long did it take for the grips to arrive, be broken in, and have the girls get used to them? I know it varies, but would it be reasonable for it to take less than 1 1/2 months?
3. How do you start breaking them in? Do you start folding them at home and moving them around to get them ready, or do you wait until your first practice after getting them to do anything?

For brands it seems like people like 10.o and resisport. Are there any other good ones? I want them to be durable, but not too hard to break in(I have states in 2 months).

It really depends on what you get, some are virtually broken in right out of the package, but those are probably best for lighter/younger/lower level gymnasts. We used pixie grips for level 4 and 5 and moved to hot shots for 6 (with leather cuff) dd is 11 and 75 lbs
I understand the thicker grips (like for level 9/10 teens) are sturdier but also take more to break in.
you only have to sandpaper if your fingers are bigger than the holes. I bet someone would help you.

DD is fairly smallish and always needs the holes sanded out a LOT. DH does it for her; see if you can get someone to help. We have had two pairs of 10.0 501 Blues buckle grips. DD doesn't seem to have too much trouble breaking them in. She hasn't done anything at home but have DH sand out the finger holes.

Oh, she got her grips when she was 10 or so, new 4, is now almost 12 and 6/7. Backups were a Christmas gift.

Okay, thanks. :) I'm definitely not small, but not a very high level either. I'm probably going to be 6 next year. Maybe I can convince my brother to sand them for me, in exchange for not owing me the million cookies that he owes me. :p

Maybe try either Ginnasta or ten-o. Those are the ones I like :rolleyes: Ginnasta typically doesn't even need the sandpaper, although they do wear out a bit sooner :)

Reisports double buckle are my favourite, but a friend swears by Bailie double buckles- says they don't even require breaking in as the leather is soft enough

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back