Anon grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

Anonymous (b275)

how often do you need to get new grips? i’ve had mine for 3 seasons now and the only problem that i have with them is that the finger holes are stretched out but my coach just puts tape in the holes so it isn’t too loose for me. i don’t really know if i need new grips considering this is going to be my last year doing gymnastics so i don’t want to buy them for one season and then never use them again because that’s just feels like a waste of money to me..

how often do you need to get new grips? i’ve had mine for 3 seasons now and the only problem that i have with them is that the finger holes are stretched out but my coach just puts tape in the holes so it isn’t too loose for me. i don’t really know if i need new grips considering this is going to be my last year doing gymnastics so i don’t want to buy them for one season and then never use them again because that’s just feels like a waste of money to me..
It depends on what skills you are doing. Those doing bigger skills for longer hours may go through grips faster than someone doing easier skills for lower hours.
As long as the finger holes being stretched out is the only issue (no problem with the integrity of the grips) then you are good to keep using them.

The lifespan of grips depend on many factors: the treatment of the leather, your body weight, how many hours you train, the type of bar skills you perform, how much water you put on them. The list goes on! In general, it’s time to get new grips if:

• they have a tear
  • the stitching is unraveling
  • the dowels extend well beyond your fingertips
  • they feel slippery when you swing

Fun fact: I went through a similar thought process when I was close to retiring from gymnastics. I ended up buying new ones. After retirement, I put my (barely used) grips in storage. Later in my adult life, I started swinging bars again just for fun. I am very glad I had an extra pair of grips lying around! It was money well spent!

It depends on the type of grips, what level you are, how much you weight, what type of skills you’re doing. There’s no set time.

I know level 10s who get new grips monthly. My level 9 replaces them every 9 months to a year.

3 years seems like a really long time though. I’d probably get some new ones.

i would buy new grips only if you seem to have problems with them but if they work great for you then i would keep them

The lifespan of grips depend on many factors: the treatment of the leather, your body weight, how many hours you train, the type of bar skills you perform, how much water you put on them. The list goes on! In general, it’s time to get new grips if:

• they have a tear
  • the stitching is unraveling
  • the dowels extend well beyond your fingertips
  • they feel slippery when you swing
To be blunt: If you do experience these issues, you really do need new ones. If your grips are unsafe, then new grips are needed even if it feels like a waste of money. If your grip rips halfway through your giant, I think the hospital trip will cost more than a pair of grips.

just to clarify: i’m not doing really any “big bar” skills. my current routine is just kip, cast above horizontal, clear hip, kip squat on, jump to high bar, kip, cast tucked flyaway

so really i guess i will be working on cast handstands and i don’t see giants this upcoming season at all in my routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Too piked still?

Back