Parents Gym communication, the good, the bad and the UGLY.....for PARENTS!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
My dd had a communication book that was written in after each training session on what she did good and what she needs to think about. It also had in there her goals that she needs to acheive and her fitness results. It is good as we can't watch and it gave us an idea on how they are going

Good point, Granny Smith. The skills list might very well cause even more parents to hover over their gymmies, asking repeatedly if they have this or that skill yet. More pressure for the gymmies, more CrazyGymParents...

I agree with everything else, too, although I honestly can see why gyms don't often have frequent progress meetings. Again, the potential to have a parent turn CGM/CGD is great. Although, could those meetings actually help parents not become CG parents? I could see that being the case, too. Hmm...

Our HC sends out a weekly e-mail with general updates. Love that.

We also have a meeting each year after season ends where we talk about how the season went--gymnast perspective and coaches' perspectives as well as goals for the next year. Love that.

We have a team handbook with expectations clearly laid out. Love that.

What I wish? The coaches would email or contact me EARLY if they are having issues in the gym with attitude, effort, whatever. Don't want to hear from other parents who might watch practice that my daughter looks like she's struggling. And would like them to contact me early so we can address it early--before it gets to be a larger problem. They do great on general updates, less great on how individual girls are doing (obviously to the parents themselves--not discussing with other parents!).

And as much as you stress being open and available to listen--actually make an effort to be open. Not take any parent response as a criticism. Sometimes we just need to know what's going on. And, yes, sometimes you should change how you do things. Be open to that!

I have to agree with another poster. I always thought my dd gym was great..but know I know it. There really is no lack of communication. The HC is very open and quick to respond no matter how you get ahold of her...via email, text, facebook..doesnt matter. You WILL always hear back from her in a matter of an hour. They communicate well with the girls, and the parents. Everyone is on the same page. They also have a filing system just inside the door to the gym itself. Each team child has a folder. If they have any handouts or notices, you will find it in there. They also post them on the bulletin board outside the gym. Each girl also has a skill level sheet in their folder. It has all the skills of that level on each event. And as the child "masters" that skill it is marked off. It really is a very personable place..from top to bottom.

- is she happy and how are her relationships to her coaches/peers?
- is she making the progress they expected when she was given her place?
- what are her strengths and weaknesses - and is there anything we can do to help?
- is there a plan for her?

This. I have no idea how she is doing or what she is doing, whether they think she'll be Ok, good, or win the olympics.

I like to hear from coaches how my dd is doing. I don't need a daily skill by skill breakdown, but if she gets a skill or works extra hard, or, for that matter, goofs off too much one day, I like a few quick words abut it.

We have our full year meet schedule already, but specific times won't be available until the week before. That comes from the host club though.

Fee schedules are provided at the beginning of the year, including when meet fees are due, when choreography and uniform fees are due, etc.

What I would really like, that we sort of have but I would like it to be a bit more formal, is the goals that the coaches have for dd, or where they EXPECT to see her by the end of the year. I understand that they really hesitate to do this because some parents will have a holy conniption if their dd doesn't quite reach the goals, but still, I would like to see the vision that the coaches have for dd.

Generally, DD's gym has decent communication. A good website (parts of it need to be updated;)), a facebook page which gets used pretty regularly, emails when something like a comp schedule needs to be announced, etc. But I think is missing is the occasionally status report to the parents about their individual child. How is she doing in practice, is she struggling with something, does she need to focus on something. Would love that discussion to be fornally scheduled twice per year (with informal chats as needed), maybe something in writing or even via email. I often feel in the dark about her progress and potential...

It should never happen. The vault should be padded and when learning a new vault the coach should be in real close, both to spot and intervene when things go awry. Accidents certainly can, and do, happen in gyms. But it is the gym's responsibility to make sure that the facility and equipment is safe, it is the coaches responsibility to spot according to needs.

Moreover there should be a system in place to deal with any injuries, here we have an injury report to fill out and a book to note incidents. Parents should be talked to directly after any accident, even if all looks well. Head bonks are a whole category by themselves, parents should be called and advised ASAP of the incident. Seemingly small head traumas can lead to bigger problems.

I am sure you kid was not messing around, but even of he was you still have the right to be informed.

My son fell on his double back last night and landed on his head. When the coach saw me, he came out immediately and talked to me. He seems fine, but I appreciated the immediate information!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back