WAG Gym not a good fit but the only option. WWYD?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skittery

Gymnast
I moved to Indonesia and found a gym, but this gym is not a good fit for me for various reasons. I felt miserable at practice and even a little unsafe (the highest level they coach is level 4 and they have no floor and no mats under bars), so I stopped. After I stopped, I found out I might be here for much longer than I imagined (possibly to the end of secondary school). My plan was to take a year off here then move and permanently join my team in Canada.

I feel really upset about having to quit possibly for good and I'm terrified of losing all my strength. I know I can still condition at home but it's not the same as the exercise you get actually doing the events, doing drills and conditioning at the gym.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? What would you do, quit or join the gym again?

In my opinion, safety should be first priority. If you don't feel safe and they don't have the appropriate mats to make things relatively safe, then I don't think it would be worth the risk. I know one can get hurt even with mats, but they at least help. I never want anyone to have to quit gymnastics, but it sounds like the no mats issue isn't the only down side to attending there since you said you were miserable. I don't know how old you are or what your long-term goals are exactly, but you can ALWAYS start gymnastics again when you're in a place where you feel safe.

Could you use the gym to just do conditioning and basic drills to keep up your strength and flexibility? Or alternatively, what about something like a cross fit gym?

In my opinion, safety should be first priority. If you don't feel safe and they don't have the appropriate mats to make things relatively safe, then I don't think it would be worth the risk. I know one can get hurt even with mats, but they at least help. I never want anyone to have to quit gymnastics, but it sounds like the no mats issue isn't the only down side to attending there since you said you were miserable. I don't know how old you are or what your long-term goals are exactly, but you can ALWAYS start gymnastics again when you're in a place where you feel safe.

Yeah sorry, I was not clear. I mean the coach and I don't get along very well and so I was sort of coaching myself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back