Parents Gymnastics Hair Styles on Pinterest

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I will have to try the one where you sew the braided bun in place. I think it might look really cute on younger gymmie :) ... of course, I think older gymmie would be more likely to sit for it, lol

My DD is only 10, but does her own hair. She had been having trouble getting the bun to look good and refused to let me help. It would start out OK, but then start to sag. We found the best thing the other day. They are twist pins (I call them hair screws LOL). You get the bun in place, then screw the pins in. I think she only used two of them and it totally held it in place beautifully for the whole meet. For all I know, they may have been around forever, but they are new to us! We just bought them at Walgreens.

My DD is only 10, but does her own hair. She had been having trouble getting the bun to look good and refused to let me help. It would start out OK, but then start to sag. We found the best thing the other day. They are twist pins (I call them hair screws LOL). You get the bun in place, then screw the pins in. I think she only used two of them and it totally held it in place beautifully for the whole meet. For all I know, they may have been around forever, but they are new to us! We just bought them at Walgreens.

I use those - I get them off ebay and they are fab

DD now has a teammate (same level) whose mom is a hairdresser and she has offered to do DD's hair before meets. Hooray! I wish there was something more mature (I feel like she's outgrown the "spider web" type styles that look so cute on little girls) besides just a bun. DD's hair is so fine that, even though it's super-long, it makes a tiny little bun, so I'm not sure if any of the more "interesting" looking buns would look right on her, just because there isn't enough hair. And she doesn't like those foam doughnut-type things that give the illusion of more hair because she says it feels like she's tumbling on a pillow. I think maybe I just need to try to talk her into cutting her hair short enough that she can just wear it in a ponytail and not have it get in her way (though that's easier said than done).

@MaryA , there are some great woven styles on Princess hair etc that look really good with "skinny hair". Adds a bit more interest whilst being a bit more grown up.

Wow... that looks out of my league. But maybe something the hairdresser mom could handle...

DD now has a teammate (same level) whose mom is a hairdresser and she has offered to do DD's hair before meets. Hooray! I wish there was something more mature (I feel like she's outgrown the "spider web" type styles that look so cute on little girls) besides just a bun. DD's hair is so fine that, even though it's super-long, it makes a tiny little bun, so I'm not sure if any of the more "interesting" looking buns would look right on her, just because there isn't enough hair. And she doesn't like those foam doughnut-type things that give the illusion of more hair because she says it feels like she's tumbling on a pillow. I think maybe I just need to try to talk her into cutting her hair short enough that she can just wear it in a ponytail and not have it get in her way (though that's easier said than done).

My DD braided her ponytail (I think into two braids), then made it into a bun. It made it "chunkier". Then after she got it into place, she screwed those twisty pins in and it held beautifully. This was the first time she did it that way, and this was the best "meet hair day" she has had. To get it back into the ponytail, she just used some hair paste, which controls the fly-aways, and slicked it all back, then sprayed the heck out of it with Aussie Freeze.

Yes, I do the "two braid" bun. Actually, I do a "two twist" bun, which I think looks really pretty. The trick to the twist is that you have to twist the individual sections in the opposite direction as you are wrapping them together. So while I'm doing it I'm telling myself "twist to the right, cross over to the left, twist to the right, cross over to the left." If you twist and cross in the same direction, it will unwind immediately. I use a hair net to keep it all together, which makes it less pretty because it kind of squishes it. The last few meets her bun came loose inside the net. I do have those "hair screws", so maybe I'll have to try them. I didn't trust them enough to try them out on a meet day. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong that the bun keeps coming un-bunned? I stick a bunch of bobby pins in it and use lots of hair gloop/spray. Is there a trick to bobbypinning a bun so that it won't come out? I never trust myself enough not to use the hair net because I'm not confident that the bun will stay in.

with pins I used to make sure I wove them in, with the screws you don't have to bother. I got mine from ebay as in the shops there were £3 for 2 whereas I paid that for 10

Mary,

Does dd need a bun? I ponytail dds hair, then separate it into 6 sections, braid each section, leaving about 4 inches unbraided. Then I fold the braid in half under the pony and secure them to the pony. The result is a fan of braids and loose hair wisps peeking out underneath. I have a pic somewhere but its not on my phone, where I thought it was.

No, doesn't need to be in a bun. Would love to see the pic when you find it!

We do the braid bun but usually do 4 braids. We have also done worm twists into a bun. Where you just take small sections of a pony and twist and twist until they twist I on themselves and pun to a bun. It looks cool. On my computer tomorrow I will look for a pic to try and explain better.

I hate messy buns. Messy buns look messy. Gymnasts should be smart. If I saw a kid with a messy bun show up in front of me as a judge I would think. Hmmm this kid cant even do their hair neatly. I wouldn't be expecting any straight legs or pointed toes..........

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back