Gymnasts Leaving and Returning - How Common is It?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
We've had a recent trend of gymnasts who left the gym and then come back. A couple went to more competitive programs and it stopped being fun. Others were discouraged by their performance during the season and quit. One left for a competitive cheer program. The common theme is they "missed gymnastics", so they wanted to come back. We've had at least 6 returnees to optionals in the last few months which is a high number for us .

I always pause when I hear gymnasts say they're considering quitting and I wonder how much they will miss it if they leave. You can't be a gymnast forever, but sometimes I wonder if they should just try to enjoy while they can.

Is this very common? Do most gyms even allow it as an option?

Yeah, our gym has had several girls quit and then come back. It's hard to do though as they aren't used to the hard work when they come back!

Not so much externally as the next closest gym is 25 mins away from our gym but we do have girls leave to rec then miss the competitive training and come back, just happened today actually :p and it is allowed :)

I think this is very common too. I know the last month at my DD's gym, several of the girls TALKED about quitting (my own included), but after States, they all got the "bug" again since the training has become more fun, working on bigger skills, etc. None of them ended up quitting, at least not yet!

Well, I think leaving for another gym is a little different than taking a break from the sport altogether and coming back. If you combine those two instances then I know a lot more people who have done it. Many gyms have a policy that if you again leave a second time you wouldn't be allowed back, but this likely wouldn't be enforced by many in the case of say, an injury that leads to another break from the sport since that's not really what it's aimed at.

I think it depends on the relationship with the gym and the terms on which you left. I feel like gyms are generally more accepting of those who quit and change their mind than those who leave in search of better coaching, greener pastures, or similar situations.
I left a gym of 3 years who very clearly did not care about me, my goals, or my gymnastics for a more intense program that really had my best interests in mind. When it became clear that I could not handle gym mentally or physically anymore, I left the sport and missed it terribly. I went back to the first gym to ask if I could come back for fun, their response was an unequivocal no. I'm glad it turned out that way as, many years removed, I see how abusive that particular gym was and can only imagine the long term impact had I returned there. But the relationships my family and I had with those coaches was not particularly great in the first place, how much can you really respect someone who very visibly does not care if you're around?
However, this same gym allowed back girls who quit to pursue other interests or just needed a break, provided they actually wanted the girl around. So it all depends. Some gyms are definitely better than others.

We rarely have gymnasts leave our program. Sometimes they leave competitive team for All Star Team or Advanced Rec for High School Gymnastics, but while we usually have about 3 or 4 leave each year to these other programs, they almost always stay in our gym, and we inherit about 10 - 12 from other gyms each year.

over the years I've seen many girls and boys leave and come back. Usually in the 10 - 14 age range. they see all the stuff their friends are getting involved in and want more free time to do the same things but they end up missing gymnastics and come back.

We have had girls quit all the time, we've never had any rejoin the team though, so I have no idea if it is allowed or not.

It is VERY common, if your gym is smart they will allow it. It is a natural part of the training process.

Every gymnast and every parent will wonder at some point in their training "could I be better if I went some where else" "Is the grass greener on the other side?" If they think this it is a good thing not a bad thing. A dedicated athlete is always evaluating their environment and their training and their life to see if it is going in the right direction. This is an important thing to do, or we never fix any situation.

Its very common for a gymnast to go and try at another gym, they soon learn that the grass may look greener on the other side and but it is just as hard to weed.

If you are a good coach and are confident that you have a good program then this should not be an issue. If a gymnasts wants to try elsewhere you can say "Thats ok, sometimes you have to have a look around and see what is out there and what is best for you, but of course the door is always open if you want to come back".

I have found that if you approach it that way in 99% of cases they come back, they just need to see. When they do come back they are happier with the program and appreciate what they do have more.

If you tell them they can't go then the whole time they are training with you they are wondering if things would be better elsewhere and growing increasingly annoyed and frequently will become a problem in the gym. If you tell them they can't come back you are denying them the normal human need to just take a look around and make sure they are doing the best thing for themselves.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back