Gymrep Summer Camp ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really want to go to GymRep this summer in Quebec. But I know since it is in Quebec most people will speak french. I am terrible at french so I was wondering if many people do speak english? Also I am 16, do you think that is too old to go to this camp? :confused:

all you gotta know is "where is the chalk", "where is the loo", "where is the food", and "where is the bed". it's all pretty universal, eh? :)

Quebec is a tourist city where many americans go to. I've been there many times and never have run into anyone that didn't speak english too. Call the camp and see if not speaking french is an issues. I bet they all speak english

My son went to gym camp until 17 and the only reason he didn't go when he was 18 was because they didn't accept over 17 at camp. He still goes to scout camp because until you are 21 you are a kid and can still go to camp as a kid. My dd will be 15 this summer and loves going to gym camp still she has been going since she was oldenough to go at 7. She isn't the only "old lady" either there is a big group at camp that are older.

GymRep is nowhere near Quebec City that Cher is talking about above. Quebec is a massive province and GymRep is about 90 minutes north of Montreal.

You will have no issues with language there, yes it is very French, but there are lots of English speaking coaches, and monitors from all over the world. Lots of girls from Ontario go each year as well as Enlgish speaking Quebeckers, like my own girls. Remember not everyone born in Quebec is French!

As to your age, there are lots of 16 year olds at the camp. It is fun. My girls have both been for many years and have great memories of their time there.

all you gotta know is "where is the chalk", "where is the loo", "where is the food", and "where is the bed". it's all pretty universal, eh? :)

Chalk - cree "Ou est le cree?"

bed - lit "C'est ou mon lit?" - "Where is my bed"

food - repas ou nouriture "J'ai faime, quand est le diner servis?" - " I am hungry, when is lunch served?"

It is only universal if you live in the USA. Up here we do gym in French!

squat on - petite bonhomme

kip - bascule

sole circle - peanut

layout - back tendu

Hi! I'm one of those french speaking Quebeckers. We're not all billingual, but I think we all understand enough english to answer simple questions as where you can find food, your bed, etc. But Bogwoppit made a couple of mistakes translating the questions, here they are with a couple of corrections ;):

- where is my bed: Où est mon lit?
- Chalk: craie or magnésium (depending of the gym), to know where it is, you have to say: Où est la craie?
- Food: to know when you eat: Quand est-ce que le repas est servi? To know what you're going to eat: Qu'est-ce qu'on mange?
- sole circle: At my gym we call it une sortie (dismount) pieds-mains But it must also depends of the gym. I'm from Quebec city, and as GymRep is 3hres away from here, it might be different. But the word I used are the one used in the provincial programs.
- We also use the word layout

For us peanut is used to describe the tour pied main, as in right around the bar to stand to catch the high bar. Funny how we are so close, relatively, and yet there are language differences. But it is like that in the UK too.

Yeah, when I switched gyms because we moved (5hrs of drive from each other) I had to learn a lot of different terms... Girls from the new gym where like: what is she talking about lol Anyway, they say they have coaches from the us and New Zealand, so there wil probably be people who speak a really good english. Here's the english link for the camp: Gymrep Home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back