Parents Hair help pease

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
My younger DDs first T&T meet is tomorrow. The HCs email says that all girls hair that is long enough must be in a bun. We have tried the last two practices to do "meet" hair, but her bun falls out no matter what I do. Her hair is about waist length and fine. We have tried nets, bobby pins (even though HC said no bobby pins), bun makers, and a ton of good hair ties, plus scrunchie. Is there anything I can do besides redo her hair between each event? Thanks!

Have you tried putting gel in and braiding it before putting the bun up? With fine hair it needs to have a good amount of product in or it's going to slip and slide all over the place.

My reco would be slick back into a pony with gel, gel the pony and braid it, hairspray everything, then wrap the braid, pinning as you wrap.

We have tried gel, but no hairspray. Maybe I am not using enough gel. The bun just ends up so big that it weighs itself down in the center and ends up a messy braided ponytail. I will soak it with gel tomorrow. Thanks!

For my daughter who does competative dance, we use Got2B hair gel...you can get it at Target or any drug store. It's like cement! And yes, the braiding/wrapping technique is a good one too. Good luck!

For my daughter who does competative dance, we use Got2B hair gel...you can get it at Target or any drug store. It's like cement! And yes, the braiding/wrapping technique is a good one too. Good luck!

We use the same brand in hair spray. My DD also has very fine hair but it is on the short side. I usually have her Coach do it :)

I think the key with long hair is to not let the bun get too far from their head, like a true dancers bun. That's why if you pin as you wrap it will stay tighter to the head.

We use the same brand in hair spray. My DD also has very fine hair but it is on the short side. I usually have her Coach do it :)

I have never tried spin pins, but looked them up and will go buy some today- can't hurt!

Her HC is a middle aged man who would probably laugh me out of the gym if I asked him to do it. Her other coach is his wife, but she is the person behind the scenes who is completely frazzled at hosting this meet. You can visibly see the stress. I hired they have had lack of volunteer issues for the first time in ten years. Poor coaches!

image.jpg

We do the same as recommended here. Damp hair, lots of strong hold gel, braided pony tail, wind into bun with lots of bobby pins, LOTS of hairspray. Doesn't look great (I am very hair challenged), but has only fallen out once. My daughter and I got the technique from a dancer's youtube video. One tip that has helped is using 2 elastics for the initial pony tail. Don't know why, but it does work better. My kid also has very long, fine hair. Good luck on hair and the meet!

Wow!! Description of Ops Dd could be of mine!!

Use heaps of water from a spray bottle. Apply gel to each section as you brush up into a high TIGHT Pony tail. We use 3 pony holders as they grip each other.

Plait the pony. Place pony holder on the end. Wind the plait around into a tight bun.

Using bun pins weave bun pins at 1 cm intervals from the outside in around the entire bun. Place another pony holder around the base of the bun so most of the bun pins are covered by this pony holder.

If any wispy bits ( Aussies call them flyaways) are popping out of the bun put gel on them; slick more gel over hair in an upward motion from the hairline towards the bun .

Put on lots of firm hold hairspray.

We need to put fine bobby pins half way between the base of the hairline and the bun, as well.

Add scrunchie .... Good to go!!

Seems overkill but DOES work. Otherwise DDs hair slithers and voila a floppy bun:)

Hope you have a great meet!!:)

We have tried gel, but no hairspray. Maybe I am not using enough gel. The bun just ends up so big that it weighs itself down in the center and ends up a messy braided ponytail. I will soak it with gel tomorrow. Thanks!
What about 2 buns, high or low? Use gel on wet hair, put in 2 ponytails, braid and put in buns. Then use hair spray.

My dd has similar hair and we have a bun requirement too. I used to do as others described with the braided pony and then wrap into a bun and it definitely stayed but my dd complained that it was too hard and not very comfortable, especially for back extension rolls. There just wasn't a position that worked and the bun was so hard that it felt like a rock on the back of her head.

So we tried something new this time at the recommendation of a friend with a daughter in ballet and it worked awesome and didn't move. She had to wear it all day too before her meet because of other things we had going on and it still didn't budge even a bit, but was still softer than the braided one and she now has a back roll in her optional floor routine and she said it worked fine and didnt hurt or get in the way.

My experience is that fine hair is all about the product. product and more product :)

I had her wet her hair in the shower and then put about three handfulls of strong hold volumizing curling mouse in it. Then I blew it dry. This added a lot of volume and thickness to her fine hair and helped it hold its shape. Then I put it in a high tight pony right at the crown using two bands (double bands is s must and the thing I think helps the most as far as staying in goes). It also provides a good stable base to wrap the bun around. I then gelled the front into a good hard helmet to keep the flyaways down. After it dries I take a very fine tooth comb and very gently comb it toward the pony so that it doesn't have the greasy wet look. My dd also requires a couple of barrettes in the back to keep the shorties at bay.

Now I added gel to the pony and let it dry and brushed it out so it isn't wet but is dry but almost sticky at this point.

Ok, so then I split her pony into two pieces, and then took one piece and started folding it around with the start of it getting that pretty bun look. I didn't start with the tight wrap right away, more of a fold over and then start to wrap. I pinned it after the fold over and then wrapped it around the side and pinned it on the side. I did not wrap the whole thing just around the side and then let it hang while I repeated the process going the other direction with the second piece, making sure than on the fold over I was getting good balance bun looking center.

Then I wrapped each piece around pinning several times as I went until it was all pinned in. The things I learned about pins. Don't pin on the bottom of the bun. DD says that made it much more comfortable for rolling backwards. If when I put the pin in, she winced or ouched at all then I took it out and tried again for a smooth line that still had a good hold. Finding the right pin placement was key to her comfort and having her not poke and bother with it all day.

After the bun is complete, I wet it down with very strong aerosol hairspray and let it dry. I use A LOT. I did this twice. Then I added her scrunchy which covered the pins very nicely and she was set. It was totally hard on the outside, but still had a little give on the inside which made it more comfortable for her.

So basically it ends up a bun with a criss cross of pins through it. that was amazingly bomb proof. It looked pretty much the same after the meet as it did when I did it that morning.

We practiced this the night before without all the product and I had her do the roll several times with the hair in. It took two practice tries to get it right and I knew that when I added all the product we would be ok because it stayed in and was pretty comfy without it.

Hope that helped a bit and wasn't totally confusing :)

Mommy brag but perhaps I should be a bit embarrassed to admit this-
we use lots and lots of gel combed through wet hair, then two pony tails holders for the pony tail, another pony tail holder around the bun form-after bun is formed, hairnet wrapped around the bun, with excess net wrapped tightly and pinned around bun form, then concrete set with hairspray while combing top of head with a fine comb......she's kept that sucker in for three days after a meet. And when we remove the bun and pins it holds its shape perfectly.
Milgymfam- I wish badly I could do your DD hair for you. I've had moms bring their girls over before meets so I could do their buns. I swear there's not a head of hair on this planet I can't bun. Sadly, that's about my only talent.

My dd hair is so long and thick, I have the same problem. But, with the hair gel got2b, it's hard to deal with. I wet her hair and then quickly comb it up. It's so long and thick, it takes fooorever!!!! The gel dries quickly. So, this year, I decided to wet it, mouse it, braid it and then put it in a braided bun. Voila, it worked and it took me 30 minutes to do(instead of hour to one and half hours) I hope you can see what I done with her hair this past weekend at our meet.
WP_20150111_002.jpg
WP_20150111_001.jpg
WP_20150111_002.jpg
WP_20150111_001.jpg

Some people use brown or black yarn and a dull needle and sew it to the head. I saw a tutorial once. They did a ponytail braid and wrapped them and put the elastic on, but then also stitched the yarn through the loops of hair in the braid and through the hair pulled tight on the scalp. Then tie the yarn off, hide the ends under the scrunchie, and cut the yarn off to remove.

Some people talked about it here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2375642

Start with damp hair and use lots and lots of gel, when you think you have used enough, add some more! My daughters hair is just past shoulder length, I would use 3-4 egg sized dollops of gel on her hair to begin, comb it through and then put into a high pony. Use extra gel on any flyaway bits of hair around her face and neck (combing them back with a new dry toothbrush works wonderfully). Hold the loose bit of the pony out of the way and blast the side, top and back of her head with hairspray. Now add more gel to the pony tail, it needs to be sticky and then do the bun. More hairspray when finished.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back