Hand stand question for coaches and/or professionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How long do you have your kids hold their hand stands? Need to know as soon as possible.

Thank you!!!!

NY*C Dance and Tumble

How long do you have your kids hold their hand stands during practice? Need to know as soon as possible.
Thank you!!!!
NY*C Dance and Tumble

Hand stands

We need to know how long coaches have the kids hold their hand stands during team practice? Parents are questioning, and we are putting out an inquiry.

Thank you!

thanks Bog I was trying to do that but my tablet doesnt show the url.

there is a 3rd one in question & answer I think.

our gym does not do handstand holds every practice. handstand walks & handstand forward rolls but not holds. we have frequent handstand contests to work on holds but there is no requirement in practice.

we used to do 1 min against the wall and we just hold as long as possible when we do free handstands. Now instead of 1 min against the wall we do 1 min on the beam with someone holding our legs.

yeah there is another one still out there in the main forum. I tried to merge too..but it told me nothing would be accomplished by merging it with itself..lol. Im doing something wrong..lol

We hold against the wall for 2-3 minutes (only toes and nose touch the wall) and/or 1 minute hold without the wall. A partner puts one hand on your belly and the other on your back to help you stay up a little, but you still have to work for it.

It depends on the child, age and strength are a huge factor.

They should hold for a time in which they can maintain the correct body shape without experiencing pain.

Need to know what level the child in question are - assuming beginner. I would recommend starting handstand hold against wall with stomach facing wall, pushing up to a tall body line (i.e. not arched with stomach against wall). Start with 2 rounds of 10 seconds for intermediate level (can kick up to handstand and do a cartwheel) and work up from there to 2 rounds of 30 seconds.

If they can't kick up to handstand or do a cartwheel, they will probably need to start with 5 seconds.

As long as they can while keeping good form? It all depends on their level. since the handstand is the base for all gymnastics (save pommel horse), the better they do them, the better the rest of their skills are.

Our younger non team girls do handstand holds against a wall, as long as they can. Our team girls do not do holds, they do handstand walks once or twice accross the floor.

Rec girls will do 'spider handstands' against the wall. (which is belly facing the wall) They only hold for maybe 20 sec. There here for fun...not heavy conditioning.

Team girls (lvls 4, 5 and 6) will do 1 min. handstands with a partner holding their feet. The coach walks around and we must be tight and stretched tall. And the partner does not 'hold you up' they are there purely to balance you when you start to fall.

We also do handstand walks across the floor.

The chinese regularly do 15 minutes on the wall and up to 45 as punishment. Low level compulsory 1-2m, Mid level compulsory 2-3, Optionals 4-7. Ideal goals. Not always gonna happen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back