Parents Health issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
I just needed a place to get out my worries, I guess. YDDs old pediatrician diagnosed her with a thyroid issue right before our move, and we are still waiting to be able to see an endocrinologist for that.

Today, her new pediatrician said she believes there is a possibility that YDD also has lupus. She also said she doesn't believe that those two are the bottom line for YDDs issues. This all started at a routine appt where the dr was concerned about a precipitous weight gain- YDD gained about 60lbs in 6 months, and her new dr said neither problem explains the weight issue.

There just seems to be new issues every time we see a dr at this point. My DD has not really had complaints outside of dermatological issues for the past couple of years, but at this point she is horrified at the idea of drs and more needles. I am stressed out and worried about her.

She finally made team and is loving her t&t training and I hope nothing gets in her way. I really just hope that she remains as healthy as she seems. Thanks for giving me an outlet!

Oh no I am so sorry. Scary to get possibilities but no answers. I know doctors are no fun but you and her need answers, I hope you get them soon.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they get to the root of the problem quickly.

uggh, sorry she and you are in this state of uncertainty. Has she had blood work done? Rheumatologists treat lupus and other autoimmune disorders. If the ped feels that she may have lupus, I would request an appt with a pediatric rheumatologist.

The dr put in a referral for a rheumatologist also, in advance of the blood work she ordered. We also have had some previous bloodwork. She believes the weight gain could be tied to a sex hormone issue, ie pcos or possibly something like cushings. It's almost too much to think about. DD seems like a perfectly healthy and normal girl, outside the weight gain. Before the original dr suggested blood tests, we just assumed it was a pre puberty thing.

So sorry to hear about your Dd's health issues- but so glad she seems healthy and well. If in doubt I would seek a second opinion- Best of Luck

I'm so sorry about your diagnosis. I would definitely follow up and go for the next blood pannel. Have you alerted her coaches of her medical history? I am just asking because we had a girl in our gym that the coaches didn't have a complete medical history on her and something happened (it was a seizure) while she was at practice. They had no clue.

Just remember Knowledge is Power.

Whatever her medical problems turn out to be, knowing about them is step one to helping her. It can seem too much all at once but you are starting out on the road to recovery the day you find out what exactly is wrong. Hope that it turns out to be minor, but whatever it is that a speedy treatment plan is put in place so she can concentrate an getting better and still enjoying her sport.

I am very sorry to hear about your YDD's health issues. I hope that they can get to the bottom of what is going on. And she remains healthy and able to keep doing T&T.

The thyroid could possibly be a secondary attack of Lupus. Lupus is an autoimmune disease that can attack any organ. It can range from being mild to severe.

Wishing you a speedy path to the knowledge and answers that will help her!! Matters of our children's health puts all else in perspective.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back