MAG Help Understanding Bonus Flub-Ups and Scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
I've heard that attempting a bonus and flubbing it can result in a lower score than if you hadn't tried the bonus at all. Can anyone give me an example of this? I'd like to better understand it?

Oh, my son has that teeshirt from L6 rings (press handstand), as does his teammate from L6 floor (endo)! As I understand it, generally the rule is that you get the bonus as long as you do it with less than half a point error in execution, and they can't deduct more for blowing the bonus than the bonus is worth (.5). But you can take all the deductions available getting INTO or OUT OF the bonus skill, and if a bonus takes the place of a required routine element instead of being an addition to the routine, if you blow the bonus, you lose the element as well. Some judges will be generous and just let the flubbed bonus cancel itself out. Others will . . . not.

The way it works is if you do a bonus, but you perform it poorly, you will end up getting deducted more than the .5 the bonus is worth! For example, if you do the bonus endo roll on floor (worth .5), but you bend your legs significantly (.3 deduction), have a slight arm bend (deduct .1) and don't momentarily hold the handstand (deduct .3) you would end up losing .2 total (+.5 -.3-.1-.3). There is no limit to how much deduction a judge can take on a bonus skill (with the exception of certain bonuses ie. level 6 giants on high bar and press handstand on rings).

Additionally, a judge will not award the bonus (.5) if there is a single large error (.5 deduction such as legs being extremely bent) while performing the bonus.

Reactions: sce
Thanks, Jacob -- I forgot that the cap on deductions was limited. Oh, those L6 giants! My son wasn't taking a whole lot on the giants themselves. But he was getting killed for the ugly cast he did into them.

And of course if they fall while attempting a bonus, they get the point off for the fall.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back