Help with squad on bars

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey, I'm a gymnasts from holland, My level is comparable with level 4, But I need a squad on bars..
When I do it, I'm afraid to hit my shins against the bar.
And when I 'sit' I fall off bars.. Everytime I do it, It goes wrong.. And I really need that skill,

Does anyone has some advice?

Make sure you are casting high enough to tuck your legs under you. Both feet go on the bar at the same time.

Keep your shoulders over the bar or you will fall backwards. Stand all the way up once you are on the bar.

do you have a floor bar to practice it on before the real bar?? that could build your confidence,but if not just belive in yourself! I know you can do it!!!!!!!

As someone said above, using a bar at home and practicing on the floor will help.

If not, you can also try squatting onto something that is above ground and standing up. This can be a folded up panel mat, or something similar. Start prone (like a push up), get your hips as close to the mat (or whatever) as you can, then pop them up and pull your feet to the bar. You can tuck if you like, but the important part is that your hands and feet stay on the object together. Then stand up.

Do this to build confidence/balance, and when you feel you can do it, start pushing away little by little until you or your coach are satasfied with the squat on.

Good luck!

Ryan

from support, slowly and deliberately push the bar down as if doing a press handstand. keep pushing until you can lift and place your feet on the bar. then stand up and jump down. don't bother doing a jump to the high bar. that will come.

Stack mats under the low bar and then try the skill, it seems like fear is your main problem. However once your feet are on the bar keep your butt up, dropping it will take you right off the bar. Be certain to not push away from the bar, start your cast with your shoulders slightly angled over the bar, as opposed to directly over the bar. Once you have initiated the cast your shoulders should be directly over the bar. Make certain your hands are not placed to far apart, you only need enough room for your feet not a semi truck.

from support, slowly and deliberately push the bar down as if doing a press handstand. keep pushing until you can lift and place your feet on the bar. then stand up and jump down. don't bother doing a jump to the high bar. that will come.

I watched an entire team do this for squat ons at a meet. I assume they were still working on actually casting into it but it's a great drill as long as you don't have freakishly long legs. (I have one gymnasts that has legs that stop somewhere near her armpits so she's still working on getting her squat on back)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back