Help with twisting, and just one other thing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Okay, I am on exchange and am lucky enough to be doing gymnastics while I am here. Its really good but there is one question (well two) questions that I must ask. would you say this is a normal progression:

Round off flic sault x 3
Round off flic lay x 2
Over to tramp to work on twists - as long as it takes to get the full twist

This was all in one lesson and I felt very rushed. I had only just started working layouts in my own gym and now they were trying to get me to twist straight away?

Also with twisting I do everything to my right (jump full turn, full turn etc) except my round off which goes left. As I was working on the twist by itself i naturally went right but the coach told me that I need to change and learn to go left due to my round off. I tried switching once and then got incredibly confused and somehow ended up on my feet (I guess that goes to show that "you know you are a gymnast when no matter how fast you twist or how high you flip you always know where the ground is" is absolutely true) this felt very unnatural so my question is does you twisting direction have to change depending on your round off?

It's not really a progression so much as it is just what you were working on that day. Five passes on the floor and then tramp work sounds about right to me, if they're focusing more on uptraining the twisting skills which it sounds like they are.

If you naturally twist right you should twist right. I also twist opposite my round-off - right round off, left twist - which is serving me fine. Some kids can learn a full either direction, but it will be a lot easier if you go the way you naturally do.

I went through this problem forever. I turn to the right, but roundoff to the left. I could never figure out how to twist. Dunno had me try twisting to the left and I got my full a day later after trying for months. I tore my ACL the same day, but that's another story.

[video=youtube;J-WG4T8PP3k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-WG4T8PP3k[/video]

[video=youtube;uN5bWkDm5nU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN5bWkDm5nU[/video]

changing twist direction will aid in getting an arabian. honestly, its not that difficult to do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back