Highschool gymnastics and grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sunkissedlove

* So this is my first post on here so sorry if I'm doing something wrong :)

I'm 13 and have been doing gymnastics for almost 2 years. I'm about a level 6 (I will be by the time I get into Highschool) and I'm joining the gymnastics team. Do you have any advice about HS gymnastics?

Also I don't have grips and I really need some. What are the best kinds? What type should I get? I'm really clueless so if you could tell me everything about grips th would be amazing! Thanks soooo much!

Edit: Are these good grips?
http://www.amazon.com/Reisport-Ladi...9P6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336783873&sr=8-1

High school gymnastics varies from state to state, and even within each state depending on the size of the school, quality of gymnasts, and those kinds of things. So I think your experience will depend a little on where you are, the size of your team, etc. But regardless of those specifics, high school gym can be a very fun, team oriented experience with less demanding practice hours than you would have on a club team- and also at a much smaller cost financially! The bigger meets tend to be very long, so go with a book to read or some homework to do. Get to know your teammates and enjoy the experience!
As far as grips, Reisport is the brand I used as a gymnast and would certainly recommend them as I loved them, but everyone has different experiences and things that they like in grips. Good luck!

You'll find a real range of skill levels in high school. Teams can have girls from around L6(your level) up to L10. It is much more relaxed than USAG and very much team centered. Obviously your experience will depend alot on the coach. Depending on team makeup(skill levels)you may get to compete everything or maybe just 1 event. If you can talk with the coach well before the season starts that would be a plus----you could get some idea of skills/events to work on.
Most states use a modified L9 scoring system so for example a fhs vault has a 8.6 SV at L9 and thats what it would be for high school. It can get complicated with bonus skills etc so ask the coach.

As for grips, ask your current coach what they would recommend for you. My gymmie used velcro Ten 0s and then switched to double buckle Reisports when she was working L9 skills---she was happy with both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back