Hollow Body Cast

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinklemonadeliz

Proud Parent
I am a bit confused...

My dd has been taught casts for years with a straight back and now that she has moved to JO team, she is being taught hollow body casts instead.

I am just a bit confused - are hollow casts the norm and she had just been taught wrong all along or is it a coaching preference? Will one score better than the other at competition? or are there just certain times to use one and other times when you would use the other.

I'm just wondering what the difference between the two are as I never realized the hollow version exists...

Thanks!

Hollow body cast is what our preteam girls have been taught. The level three routine starts off with a pullover to hollow body cast back hipcircle... Hope this helps

I was taught with a straight back, and I believe that all the other gymnasts in my gym have been taught with a straight back too. Hope this helps!

Well, for a cast handstand, you don't want to hollow. But the L4 text wants a small hollow cast. I interpret this to be a hollow from the chest before the drop back (as would be appropriate dropping into a circling skill) and don't correct appropriate heel drive. I tend to consider a cast "archy" when it arches down. But if a kid has no understanding of how to convert to hollow then they may need to practice more of a hollow cast.

Well, for a cast handstand, you don't want to hollow. But the L4 text wants a small hollow cast. I interpret this to be a hollow from the chest before the drop back (as would be appropriate dropping into a circling skill) and don't correct appropriate heel drive. I tend to consider a cast "archy" when it arches down. But if a kid has no understanding of how to convert to hollow then they may need to practice more of a hollow cast.

That must be what they're working toward (the L4 hollow cast) - the coach is telling her to make a "halloween cat" back when she casts back.

I was just confused as (although I'm sure it's done this way all the time), I had never noticed it done before.

Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back