Hook and loop vs. Buckle Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
I need a new pair of grips after my beloved velcro Reisports tore after only a year of usage. Which do you prefer, the velcro hook-and-loop grips or buckle grips? Mine tore right beside the hook part of the grips.

I'd like to stick with Reisports since it's what the coaches want! They don't really have a preference to wether I get hook-and-loops or buckle grips. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
DD has velcro but is asking for buckle grips for Christmas. The velcro gets snagged in her wrist bands and makes them difficult to get on.

Definitely buckles, the velcro gets lose, and then you have to do all sorts of crazy things to get it to stick. Having to put rubber bands over your grips every time you do bars can get really tedious.

Dd had velcro but they kept getting loose and coming undone she went to the double buckle and loves them. Most of the girls in her old gym had buckles but the new gym most have velcro because the gym buys them getting a better price but the ones that have them end up taping them for meets.

I say buckles. Now the big question for you would be single or double buckles LOL

DD#1 started with velcro, and never complained but when it was time to buy DD#2's grips, older DD said definitely get buckles b/c the velcro gets loose. My girls have only used Reisport buckets from then on, no complaints.

thanks for this thread DD is upgrading from palm guards to "proper " grips - looks like buckles will be the way forward.

'Margo

MIne both wanted velcro ones, but they were a pain when they would loosen. Plus the velcro would catch on their leos. UGH.

Buckles are something to get used too....but well worth it in the end. If I had known this going forward we would have started there. DD has also found the Under Armour wrist bands to be fabulous.The are a bit slippery at first douse with chalk. I look for them on sale and they also show up at TJ Maxx and Marshalls type stores as inventory over stock from Sports stores.

Our problem is DD waffles between Reisport and Bulldogs.....she seems to wear out the Reisport fast. Anyone else have this problem??

Alex has only worn double buckle grips. She wears the US Glove Hot Shot grips. She has worn the very same pair since she started wearing grips almost 2 years ago. She tells me that they are still in great shape!

US Glove, single and double buckles depending upon the size of their hand. boys and girls both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back