Parents Hot gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariel

Proud Parent
Hello everyone. I just wanted to get some advice on what I should do. My child’s told me last week that she looked at the thermostat at her gym and it showed it was 98 degrees inside and she was complaining about how hot it was. I had gone in there to talk with the coach and saw that it was indeed 97 degrees in the gym. We live in Texas and it has been 107 to 109 degrees outside lately. They have a few fans going, but I feel it’s still too hot. They said that the air conditioning just won’t cool the building down. There are two pretty small units attached to the ceiling. Do you think it’s ok to work out in these conditions? Should I try and have her go to another gym temporarily until the issue is resolved (if they allow it)?

97 is too hot in my opinion for any significant workout. They risk heat related injuries..... I would have an issue with this from a safety perspective as a parent.

97 is too hot in my opinion for any significant workout. They risk heat related injuries..... I would have an issue with this from a safety perspective as a parent.
That is what I am afraid of. I don’t want her or any of her team may to get sick because of it.

Also, I forgot to add that it’s in a metal warehouse style building with no windows, one door , and a garage door, with some insulation.

As long as they are hydrating and taking frequent breaks... and the coaches are keeping an eye out for signs of heat-related illnesses, they should be fine.

I think with hydration, breaks, etc it should be fine. My son has worked out in that temp. I think a lot of athletes work out outside in those temps. But hydration and breaks are key.

It’s been hitting those temps on days inside my dd gym here in uk, we’re having a very unusual prolonged heatwave. We don’t have air conditioning at all as these temps are not normal for the uk for any more than a day or two normally.
Training has been adapted so there’s not lots of running, frequent water breaks and as and when needed they can sit out to cool down.

DD gym is just as you describe. The kids drink much fluid and train very hard. If one does not take care of the hydration there could be a problem but mostly it becomes the norm for DD and her teammates.

Those temperatures are very normal where I live in Australia (we are in the middle of Winter now though so we have a little respite from this). Most gyms are not air conditioned as the cost would be astronomical.

I am not sure what the laws are in the US, but here we usually need to have a heat policy. Once it gets over a certain tempreture our heat policy kicks in and the kids get more frequent drink breaks, we reduce the extreme physical activity, and coaches keep an eye on them giving them a rest if any heat stress related symptoms appear. Coaches will also spray the kids with water spray bottles to keep them cool.

Some gyms even set up fun things like water slides in the car park for the last part of training. Many gyms will give the kids ice blocks (I think they are called popsicles in the US). One super hot Saturday we hired a snow cone machine and gave everyone free snow cones (parents loved this one too).

Once it gets over 100 degrees many gyms will cancel training, of course depending on their own venue and how well it deals with the Heat.

Oh my. I can't imagine training in those temps. I'm honestly surprised about how many of y'all are saying this is normal. It doesn't get nearly that hot here and her gym has a/c. I'm pretty sure everyone starts complaining when it gets to 80 inside (if it's really hot outside and the a/c is having trouble keeping up). But upper 90's? No way. I feel bad for the girls and coaches that have to spend hours in that kind of heat. :(

When I moved to Central California, I was shocked to see kids playing Little League out in the stifling heat (high nineties) under a blazing sun at the hottest part of the day (Here, between about 4 and 7 PM, prime time for sports, is the hottest time of day in summer, when temps of even over 100 are common.) But if you live somewhere it gets super hot for long periods of time, it is play in the heat or not do sports.

I do suggest educate yourself and your child about the signs of heat cramping, heat exhaustion and of heat stroke, and if you think it is needed, make sure the coach knows what to do in the case of heat related health issues.

Heat stroke is VERY dangerous and kills quickly if it is not treated by very rapidly and dramatically cooling the body. But heat stroke is rare and usually only occurs if signs of heat exhaustion have not been dealt with appropriately.

Here is some good info: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/ho...s/heat-wave-safety#Treat-Heat-Related-Illness

Oh my. I can't imagine training in those temps. I'm honestly surprised about how many of y'all are saying this is normal. It doesn't get nearly that hot here and her gym has a/c. I'm pretty sure everyone starts complaining when it gets to 80 inside (if it's really hot outside and the a/c is having trouble keeping up). But upper 90's? No way. I feel bad for the girls and coaches that have to spend hours in that kind of heat. :(

So much is what you are used to. If it is 80 degrees here, quite a few kids will come in wearing jackets. For us anything be.lw 70 is super cold and we are using heaters and fire places and complaining how cold it is.

It's the middle of winter now and will get to about 75 maximum most days and we think it's very cold.

So much is what you are used to. If it is 80 degrees here, quite a few kids will come in wearing jackets. For us anything be.lw 70 is super cold and we are using heaters and fire places and complaining how cold it is.

It's the middle of winter now and will get to about 75 maximum most days and we think it's very cold.

And we are wearing shorts and tank tops and flip flops at 60 here!

And we are wearing shorts and tank tops and flip flops at 60 here!
Lol, we have girls come in to the gym when it is in the 40s with flipflops (or barefoot) and shorts on... but some will also wear a jacket, lol.
I wear capris when it is below 40º and shorts the rest of the year. I wear sleeveless tees (like a tank top, but with wider shoulder straps) all winter and whenever it is below 55º. Above that, I wear spaghetti strap tank tops. I either wear crocs or slides (mine are basically backless tennis shoes) all year round. But, as my brother points out frequently in the winter, I am a freak. My "winter coat" is a reversible jacket... one side is waterproof nylon and the other side is fleece... no lining in between. And I rarely close it and often remove it once I am in the car. I have tended to leave it in the car even in really cold weather, lol. But at least that way, I dont lose it.

After living in Texas for 20 years ( yikes) I’m in jeans and long sleeves when it’s below 70. I rarely wear shorts and really only get uncomfortably hot above 90 with high humidity.

I don't think it's a deal breaker unless they are having them at maximum activity level for prolonged periods. Our boys still run outside (here in Texas) except for the one day we were at 112 in the local area. They definitely need to plan for increased water (and perhaps consequently, bathroom!) breaks, more frequent breaks in general, watching the kids closely for dehydration and/or heat illnesses - but as long as they are doing all of that, I don't have a problem with it. I mean, it stinks and *I* wouldn't be doing it personally, but I'm a weenie. :p I'd still send my kids.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back