Parents Hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MrsABC123

Proud Parent
Hi,

How do I get my daughter into a gymnastics squad.
She's went to a very big club for a year but nothing happened and I felt she wasn't really learning much with how many children were there.
We moved to another club and again nothing seems to be happening, she's improved on floor a bit but a couple of girls have moved into the tumbling squad but not my daughter.
I've rang a club this morning but have been told they are full at the moment and to ring back in 6 months to see if there are any places in the recreational classes because all children start in recreational.
She's 8.5, very shy but good at floor and really wants more.

Hi, apologies if I posted in the wrong place. I'm just looking to help my daughter get on with the gymnastics.

It’s different in every club. Some will have big teams and take any gymnast when they get to a certain level, some will hold a try out for interested kids, others will invite those who they feel are team material, others will only take younger kids into their team.

You would need to find out specifically for the club you are attending, you could do it through the head coach or club owner.

Thank you Aussie Coach.
Can any child get into a squad or only certain children?
The girls who got into the tumbling squad at current club are roughly same age and where we went to the big club first these girls didn't they went to the club we are at now but all three girls have been doing gymnastics about the same amount of time but my girl seems to be getting overlooked. The only difference I can see is that my girl is shy and can't do a flippy things like the other two.

What type of squad are you looking for her to join?

Tumble Team
Artistic Gymnastics
Other

Hi John,
Not really sure what type of squad. She just wants to do more and get to learn more. Current place is tumbling and acro. Old place was artistic and the one I rang the other day do all types of gymnastics.

in the UK you need to ring round a few clubs and take her for a trial. Tell them she wants to do more and she is shy but really loves gymnastics.

Thank you Aussie Coach.
Can any child get into a squad or only certain children?
The girls who got into the tumbling squad at current club are roughly same age and where we went to the big club first these girls didn't they went to the club we are at now but all three girls have been doing gymnastics about the same amount of time but my girl seems to be getting overlooked. The only difference I can see is that my girl is shy and can't do a flippy things like the other two.

Honestly, while at some gyms the answer would be yes, anyone can make Team. In the vast majority of gyms the answer is no, not anyone can make Team. Often the bigger the gym the harder it is to make Team too.

Let's say you have a small gym with about 300 kids and they have 100 spots on team, your kid would need to be in the top 1/3 of kids to be selected, but if there 1000 kids and 100 spots on team they will only take the top 10% of kids. Most gyms do not make money, or not much from their teams, some lose money on their teams. The teams are the selling point for the gym, but the rec classes are where they make money.

Some gyms have different levels of team and may have a more competitive team and more recreational tea,s for those who might not make the more competitive team.

Gyms will consider a number of factors such as age, body type, strength, speed, commitment, effort in training, attitude, coachability, flexibility, how fearful they are, technique and skills.

Hi, yes UK.
Thank you Jenny.
Aussiecoach, old club easily over 1000 (including recreational) children and lots of different squads. Current club if i had to guess less than 1000. Only one development squad compared to 3 at old club. Club I rang from what I can gather from their website, lots of recreational classes and then references various types of squad.
I would say say compared to the other two girls my daughter is similar age and body type and tries her best but isn't the most flexible and if I have to be honest probably is fearful. One of the other girls just flips all the time, even of equipment.
I think by replying to you Aussie that I can kind of see why she was overlooked last time and why again this time. However she really wants to do more so what can I do to help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back