How is it possible?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok so Ive been out only working on dance, flexibility, and conditioning for awhile because of my elbow and I videotaped my stradle jump and stradle full and switch straddle that I have been working on and on all three of the straddles I am past 180 in the split, which I didnt know I could do according I am far from my straddle split? Anyone have anyideas how it is possible to be past 180 degrees in a jump but no where near 180 when sitting in a split? I am really confused!

I remember my coach telling me about this awhile back, I'll try to summarize what she said as best I can...

First, since you are in the air, your weight isn't on your muscles, and the pressure on them is much less. This makes it easier to stretch them. Second, the split is only there for a split second. (No pun intended). You might feel it stretching when you're in the air, but it won't feel like much, because you're only in the position for a short amount of time. Finally, it could look like a 180 straddle split, and not actually be one. In a straddle jump, if you get your legs out in front of you and your knees facing up, it can give the illusion of being a full split. That might not be the case with your jump, but it definitely is a possibility.

thanks for somewhat clerifying it for me. It was a full straddle jump I had a coach check it also. The only thing that I can think of gthat might of cause my straddle to be so good in jumps was from a year in cheerleading where we work a long time on jumps because it was just this past year that my jumps were getting high and straight. Thank you so much for heelping my figure this out im not as confused!! haha

Another thing I might mention is the difference between active and passive stretching. passive stretching is the type of stretching you do on the floor where you use gravity to pull you down. Active is what is done in leaps and kicks where you use your muscles to stretch. Some people may be better at one than the other. One girl at my gym is a good 6" from the floor when we stretch normally, but she can hit 180 on leaps. I think it really depends on the person so I wouldn't be too concerned that your straddle split jump is better than your split. I know mine is the same way!

im glad im not the only one that hasrealized this haha thanks for the answer..and im more likethe girl who is 6" off the ground in asplit haha

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back