Parents How necessary is TOPS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mai_lin

Proud Parent
My daughter turns 8 tomorrow. She's on level 3 this season and is obsessed with watching TOPS training videos on YouTube. The way they progress at her gym (although I feel it's slow) will not get her to the level she needs to test for TOPS, which her current coach confirmed.

How important is TOPS to advance (and get to go to the "cool travel" meets, as my daughter says) in the sport?

I don't want to push for her gym to let her train on the TOPS team if its not feasible. I know it probably wouldn't hurt, and she'd love it, but I don't want to crush her dreams if she won't make it.

Lots of kids who never do TOPS still do travel meets. I guess I'm. A little confused...your gym has a Tops group...how do they get added to it? It would be hard, but not impossible for a kid to start at her age to test by the next year.

TOPS is not needed for success in gymnastics. Many of the Big names in the gym word by that I mean gyms like WOGA, Texas Dreams, and Chows do not test TOPS. TOPS was originally developed to help coaches/gyms learn what is needed to properly guide a talented gymnast through JO to Elite. But IMHO it's now more of a status thing...Some parents think once their child does TOPs she is predestined to be an elite. I have personally seen many Great TOPs kids fizzle.
If you child is cared for and trained as needed to be successful, TOPs is not needed.

A lot of gyms add tops training in their normal level practices/conditioning so she may already be doing some. My daughter started training tops when she was 5 and finally tested this summer as a 7 year old. A good Tops program is selective with who they add to it, who they have test and is very intensive. In our gym you can see some of the differences in tops girls and non tops girls.

I agree though, you do Not have to train tops to move up the levels and compete optionals (where most " cool" meets start). If you have a strong program, strong coaches and a committed talented child they will get to optionals...they can do very well!

One other thing...through tops they can be invited to A or B camp, go to invite camps and developmental camps and tops is one way of doing these...you can always send in videos of your gymnast if they don't see her through national tops testing...as far as I know

Lots of kids who never do TOPS still do travel meets. I guess I'm. A little confused...your gym has a Tops group...how do they get added to it? It would be hard, but not impossible for a kid to start at her age to test by the next year.
Our gym grabs girls from the dev team for tops and the current girls, L4, have been the only ones on it for a few years now. Getting added to it doesn't happen after L2 it seems (one L2 was added 2 years ago but later switched gyms) but I suppose if we pushed it we may get through. The only difference is the coach and an extra 3 hours of training per week

TOPS is not necessary to be a successful gymnast and as a matter of fact many have been successful L10's or elites without it. However, if your dd is really interested and really likes to watch the training videos, etc, it couldn't hurt to ask if she could train with them for a little while. I would just be up front that she would like the opportunity for the extra training and not necessarily to test. There are many gyms who train TOPS that do not test at all. Testing aside, it's a good workout. Our gym has incorporated some TOPS style training over the summer for the first time. None of them are going to be testing or attending training camps anytime soon, but the more intense conditioning has been beneficial for all of them. If you make it clear from the beginning that your dd just really wants to try it, and won't be disappointed if she doesn't get to go to testing or anything, they may be willing to let her try it. The testing is very competitive and many of the 8 year olds are training L6 or higher, so I would go in with no expectations (although she may surprise you with her progress) but if they let her give it a try it will probably be beneficial for your dd's gymnastics.

My dd just started TOPS , I think it has really helped her since she loves the conditioning. But that said I don't think it is necessary.

It's the training not the name "TOPs". Which usually means additional money.

Our gym dies train TOPs skills. We don't test. It's just part of our kids regular training.

It's the training not the name "TOPs". Which usually means additional money.

Our gym dies train TOPs skills. We don't test. It's just part of our kids regular training.

Same here. They don't prep kids for the tests but do the skills/exercise as part of their regular conditioning.

I think it depends on the gym's and the gymnast's goals. I think for a gymnast fast tracking through levels it is extremely beneficial. It helps with strengthening, conditioning, form, and skill acquisition. I can see a clear difference in the "tops" children versus the ones not participating, but again, how necessary it is depends on your goals.

I think it depends on the gym's and the gymnast's goals. I think for a gymnast fast tracking through levels it is extremely beneficial. It helps with strengthening, conditioning, form, and skill acquisition. I can see a clear difference in the "tops" children versus the ones not participating, but again, how necessary it is depends on your goals.
It depends on the gym. It's not "TOPs" that is the difference.

It is the coaching, that includes strengthening, conditioning, attention To form and skill acquisition. You don't need a program named TOPs for any of those things.

Just coaches and a gym that provides the training.

JMO, but you shouldn't have to pay extra for that kind of training at the gym you are at. It should just be what training is.

It depends on the gym. It's not "TOPs" that is the difference.

It is the coaching, that includes strengthening, conditioning, attention To form and skill acquisition. You don't need a program named TOPs for any of those things.

Just coaches and a gym that provides the training.

JMO, but you shouldn't have to pay extra for that kind of training at the gym you are at. It should just be what training is.
I agree with you. At a gym where there is a clear division between the children doing tops training versus the children who are not, it makes a difference. I should have clarified that I meant at our gym I can see that difference. I just had a conversation with a gym mom friend the other day about how we see many gym programs training the kids for the lower level compulsory routines versus teaching really solid fundamentals. In other words, the "team" is drilling level 1,2, and 3 routines but the kids aren't learning to hold handstands, for example.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back