WAG How to figure out which way you twist?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And -- just trying to be sure I understand this -- the more typical gymnast is also going to do his floor pirouette and pommel circles/loops counterclockwise?

I am dyslexic and have a really hard time with L and R so I went back and watched my kids' videos much more closely. They are not the same. (I thought they were, because neither does the much more obvious lefty routine, which is easily distinguishable.) He starts his roundoff with his left hand and pirouettes/circles counterclockwise. When he does the swing turn on high bar, he lets go with his right hand first. She starts her roundoff on her right hand and her turns on floor and twists rotate clockwise, though when she does a pirouette on the floor, she goes the same way he does. Now I am wondering which way he will end up twisting, which he's only just starting!

My mind is again blown at the complexity of the sport.

artistic: using the left round off example, when the left round off completes itself and stands up on the feet and the body is vertical right side up, the body is already twisting to the left. although a left round off is twisting right, this is because the body is on its hands. once the body snaps both feet together and the hands leave the floor and the feet hit the floor, the body starts twisting to the left. this is the mechanical nature of a left round off. it can't be altered. and reverse the above if you do a right round off.

I think what you are saying is that if the body continues rotating past the completion of the round off (left round off), it's actually twisting to the left and not the right?

And -- just trying to be sure I understand this -- the more typical gymnast is also going to do his floor pirouette and pommel circles/loops counterclockwise?

I am dyslexic and have a really hard time with L and R so I went back and watched my kids' videos much more closely. They are not the same. (I thought they were, because neither does the much more obvious lefty routine, which is easily distinguishable.) He starts his roundoff with his left hand and pirouettes/circles counterclockwise. When he does the swing turn on high bar, he lets go with his right hand first. She starts her roundoff on her right hand and her turns on floor and twists rotate clockwise, though when she does a pirouette on the floor, she goes the same way he does. Now I am wondering which way he will end up twisting, which he's only just starting!

My mind is again blown at the complexity of the sport.
Me too! It is really hurting my head to think about it. My daughter is doing what yours is doing and starts round off with right hand and twists clockwise. Which I guess is actually twisting to the left. I think I need to just stick to being a spectator.

Why is this so confusing?! My brain hurts. :) If I do a left round off (left hand down first) but twist by pulling my arms to my right shoulder (is that a right twist?) does that make me atypical?

Every time I think I understand, something undefined slips from my mind and I'm once again left confused. Haha.

Why is this so confusing?! My brain hurts. :) If I do a left round off (left hand down first) but twist by pulling my arms to my right shoulder (is that a right twist?) does that make me atypical?

no. it just means like trampolinists.

if you're able, try to do your left round off then your back full to the right. you'll feel what we are all talking about. i'm certain you don't, you have a back handspring between the round off and the full. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back