Parents How to prevent a rip the day before a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
My daughter has a meet tomorrow and she came home from practice last night saying she is about to rip. Is there anything she can do to prevent if from ripping during her meet tomorrow? Thanks!

Something that I do is put Vaseline over the calluses that are about to rip (like a nice sized glob) and them wrap Prewrap and tape around it. This hack has literally been a lifesaver because not only does it help you not rip, but it removes the friction making it not hurt!

Thank you! Should she leave it on overnight or does she do this when she competes? Sorry, I don’t know much about gymnastics, hence the need to ask here.

The shea butter or hand cream I do just on occasion / overnight. But that's more to keep the skin supple, the magnesium chalk dries it out which makes it more prone to ripping

This happened to me a month ago, The best thing to do is to put bag balm on it. If you do not have that, Neosporin works just fine. Then cover her hand with a band-aid then put a sock over it. Try to prevent the rip from becoming dry because that can lead to cracking. At the met put tape on it. Wrap it around her palm then vertically down her palm. It worked just fine for me and I hope it will for her. Best of luck!!!!

I know I’m a little late, but if you don’t have a callous shaver, take a clean nail clipper and just take off the top of the callous. Put some lotion/aquafor on it over night and you should be good to go. Taking off that top layer prevents it from pulling up as much when she goes around the bar, and not being able to pull off.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back