Parents I actually know very little , am I the only one ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Scotsgirl

Proud Parent
I joined here last night and realise I know pretty much nothing haha is this something I should feel ashamed of ? sorry to say I do not haha , my thinking is I will learn with my dd in time , she has competed in six competitions and is nearly seven and I am very proud of her carefree attitude she has had a wee gold medal a silver and bronze and has placed 5th overall out of 64 gymnasts in age , these were all two piece competitions. I do need to further my knowledge what age do they begin grading at ? we are in Scotland :)

Its totally normal to be clueless, its almost as if information is too precious to share with the parents !

have a look at the uk forum , especially this post and have a read through, it should answer some questions. Also there are posts about the new grades there.

It just kind of depends on your personality. I personally enjoy learning about all aspects of the sport and love that there is so much to learn. But that is consistent with my personality. I am most decidedly not an ignorance is bliss sort of person.

However some of my gym mo friends don't feel the urge to learn about all the "stuff" and they are equally happy with their daughter's participation. To each their own!

Yes very true what ever floats your boat , I am sure I will learn with her all the mums seem to know the jargon so sometimes I find myself nodding and thinking eh ? haha I guess that is why I joined chalk bucket for the information as well , my dd says I do not need to know as its her business huh :)

Hi! I joined yesterday too! I love watching my daughter, but admit I am guilty of saying things like "that flippy thingo" and "that backwards roll stand up thing" haha. Don't even get me started on bars!

I do like to learn though! I finally got my head around the NDP levels here in Australia last year, and this year they have gone and changed it all, so I'm back to square one!

I can totally relate to you, I don't really know much. I've tried to read up on things but it goes over my head, if dd tells me about a move and I don't understand I try to look it up, she was 7 in september and starts competing this year, and I've decided as long as I know where she has to be at what time and how much it costs I'm fine!!!

Ugh. I have waffled about trying to understand deductions ( I admit to being a "Type A " personality) and judging.

DD is competing Level 7 and I must admit, her front handspring vault that scores an 8.0 or 8.7 looks exactly the same to me. I find it utterly baffling.

It depends on how she holds her mouth when she blocks.

Lol!!!! Makes sense to me!

DD is now in her 4 th year of competing. This is my 5 th year as a mom of a competitive gymnast ( older DD competed as well ). . I've given up trying to understand judging at all. It's too much effort. I'd rather just watch my daughter do the sport she loves.

I think it's fun to estimate on all events but vault. Unless it is a huge errors, I can't hash out the fine details that it takes to judge vault.

Now, I should say that I'm not a great judge. I usually only get within 0.3 of the posted score! LOL

Thanks for the replies , I have decided to support my dd by understanding her own personal best haha sure we will learn on the way :)

I am another one who doesn't know much. I am learning slowly as we go along, but I am in no rush. I figure that my daughter and her coaches know what's going on.

I am impressed by people who can estimate scores though. When I go to competitions I just watch girl after girl thinking 'isn't that beautiful!' And 'hasn't she worked hard!' I would be the worst judge ever.

I am just getting to a point where I think I can pick a great routine, but I couldn't tell you why. Something about the vibe of it I suppose. I guess at the lower levels the clubs where there is more attention to body tone and attention to detail really stand out?

Ugh. I have waffled about trying to understand deductions ( I admit to being a "Type A " personality) and judging.

DD is competing Level 7 and I must admit, her front handspring vault that scores an 8.0 or 8.7 looks exactly the same to me. I find it utterly baffling.

and to us coaches too! this is cause they don't know how to judge womens vault.

You're no worse off than the rest of us! When you sort through all he BS and posturing it comes down to most of us knowing less than half of what we think, and about 20% of what we talk about.

Trust me....... I know all about it:confused:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back