i have an EASY/STUPID question? (levels of gymnastics)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i always hear different things about what levels college gymnasts are. i know they arent all the same level, but what is the lowest level college gymnast youve heard of? are community/junior college gymnasts typically at lower levels than four-year college gymnasts? do college gymnastics teams usually have frosh, jv, and varsity, or just one team with all "grades"?

thank you guys so much, and sorry about being so dumb haha

oh, and if you know what level high school gymnasts are, please include that as well, because ive never recieved a straight answer for that, either. (if you can, include the levels for frosh, jv, and varsity) :D

Flipper aspires to be a college gymnasts. She competes in Region 3. It is my understanding that virtually all college gymnasts are level 10, with a few girls that specialize in a particular events making it to college as level 9's.

In our area, there aren't many schools that offer high school gymnastics anymore. Most of the high school competitors I've seen are about level 8 or lower skills. The meets I've attended and helped at didn't have a division by grade level. Everybody competes against everybody else - with routines containing higher level skills having a higher start value.

High school gymnastics programs vary greatly in most states. In some areas, the teams have girls doing L6-L8 skills and in other places the girls are L9 and up. In quite a few places there is no high school gymnastics at all. In my area, the sport is varsity only, but the girls with skills in the L6-7 category don't compete as much as the higher level gymnasts. Our high school teams are not as competitive as teams from another area of the state and some areas in the state have no gymnastics. If you're interested in hs gymnastics, you need to check with your local hs.

Colleges are rated Division 1, 2 and 3 per the NCAA. Division 1 schools have full gym scholarships, Division 2 have a few and Division 3 have teams, but no scholarships for gymnastics. I don't know of any 2 yr. college(ie community college) that has a gym team. Some schools have gym clubs and some compete in the NAIGC(I think thats right) which is more relaxed and again no scholarships. As far as I know, gymnastics in college is a varsity sport--no jv.

Hoped I helped with some of your questions!

I've heard of a rare level 9 that does college gym. Usually they have an event that is Level 10.

Some people on my highschool team haven't done gymnastics since they were 5, and some have been training their whole lives. So, the levels are... 2-9.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back