Parents I think I need a little help understanding it all......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I must say that I am continually amazed at the number of people posting about how hard it is to stop their children doing gym at home, maybe I'm just odd, awkward, old-fashioned, I just tell them they are not allowed to do more than cartwheels and handstands, end of conversation - I am, after all, the parent.

:rolleyes:
Doesn't mean they aren't doing it when they are out of your sight...at school, playground, etc. You should hear about the stunts DH pulled when he was growing up, and none of them were in front of his mother. Just being a realist here...and prepping myself for when she rappels herself down the wall from her bedroom to sneak out of the house as a teen. But DH is one step ahead and will be implanting her with a GPS tracking device.

I hear that's why iPhones are good. Permanently attached to teenager BY THEIR CHOICE and thoroughly trackable :)
Isn't that the truth? they can't live without them.

I'm not saying at home gymnastics is a good idea. Just that kids can be sneaky. :p

Reactions: sce
Isn't that the truth? they can't live without them.

I'm not saying at home gymnastics is a good idea. Just that kids can be sneaky. :p

oh, that is so true. But I have to trust that I have taught him where the line is. If the line is fluid at home, it leaves it more fluid when I am not around. If there is a strict line at home, he is more likely to follow. (this is true for most things in my book). Now, he will try to do more things, of course, but I think it is far less likely if we have discussed the risks at home.

Some kids are better with lines than others, it's not *just* the way that they are raised I think.

Some kids are better with lines than others, it's not *just* the way that they are raised I think.

yes, I agree. But with no lines, they don't know their boundaries. Few kids will set their own boundaries....

Reactions: COz
After all of this, you've gotten some great advice and some interesting advice. I hope common sense prevails and you have no need for 911 on speed dial. If not, you may want to dial 91 and then you'll just need to hit 1 when appropriate.
In all honesty, I have that kid. The one who just gets skills and they were bigger than her. New gym= no skills for 6 months so they could re teach them with proper form. Kid did more robhs drills than I care to even ponder. She was MISERABLE. fast forward 1 year and she's scoring 9.4 and up on floor and beam so it must have worked :)
Good luck to your dd!

I saw a commercial on youtube called "Training at home with Tumbl Trak and Jordan Weiber." And there are countless examples of videos of kids practicing gymnastics at home.

Search on Google and notice how many proud parents post videos of their seven-year-olds performing the first cartwheel on beam on the HOME beam.

It is unlikely that the manufacturers of home gymnastics equipment have been concealing massive lawsuits against them for injuries at their customer's homes. I don't find a new exclusion on my health insurance or my home insurance to limit insurance coverage due to all of the home gymnastics injuries.

Of course there is NO RULE against home practice, and it is not going away--certainly not by mandates from a faction of "zero-tolerance" parents (or coaches).

I've seen excellent coaches hand out "homework" sheets, including positions to practice. And there are endless examples of parents who became knowledgeable; became certified judges or certified coaches, or both. And I have witnessed (and heard of) inexcusable incompetence by so-called "certified coaches." And THAT is the point. There are no substitutes or shortcuts to learning good judgment; but there is a path, and there are principles.

Thank you for all of your assistance.....I must have not alluded to the idea that I have coached high level national divers in the past and I had a dry land facility that is now in my basement because with having kids, I could no longer offer the hours needed to coach the sport at that level any longer. So with a bunch of mats, 2 tumbl traks, a beam, and a bar, my daughter only jumps and flips and has never played with toys. My son- totally opposite- loves to jump but plays with toys and does not have my daughter's passion for this sport. I actually put her in gymnastics to transfer to diving when she got older. I never knew she'd take to it and have the passion for it like she does. So me coaching her is very different than any other parent coaching their own child at home. I can coach tumbling and flipping- that's what divers do :) I just don't know the little ins and outs of when the feet have to be in 4th position, when their leg has to be held high, having to lever into a handstand... Etc. Her form is very tight with great head position because when she is playing and jumping, I might as well give her corrections so she doesn't learn bad form in the process. So that's a moot point. I believe I am pretty qualified to be teaching flips etc...

Good news, though..... I finally found help today- a higher level coach did a private with us and showed me where she is getting killed in points- and she was shocked that her team coaches were telling her conflicting/incorrect information. It was all 4th position foot positions on the floor, a missing crown hold on her lunge, a higher leg position hold in her leap, etc. - silly things that if she was aware of- she easily could have/would have/now is doing. I knew it had to be something silly because tightness, form wise, toe point- it's all there- that's why I was so frustrated. So I feel a lot better.

The bigger tumbling things she does- I wrote that to give you perspective- she can do tougher skills, and is performing average on these simple level 3 skills- why- she looks great to the untrained gymnastics eye and you think she nailed it- form and all- and she gets an 8.4?? Something is not right. And she was getting so frustrated- because she did the routines to the best of her knowledge of how she was told. So now we have some new/correct information, and I think she is good to go from here.

Thanks again for everyone's assistance, concern, and advise :)

It is unlikely that the manufacturers of home gymnastics equipment have been concealing massive lawsuits against them for injuries at their customer's homes. I don't find a new exclusion on my health insurance or my home insurance to limit insurance coverage due to all of the home gymnastics injuries.

Of course there is NO RULE against home practice, and it is not going away--certainly not by mandates from a faction of "zero-tolerance" parents (or coaches).

I've seen excellent coaches hand out "homework" sheets, including positions to practice. And there are endless examples of parents who became knowledgeable; became certified judges or certified coaches, or both. And I have witnessed (and heard of) inexcusable incompetence by so-called "certified coaches." And THAT is the point. There are no substitutes or shortcuts to learning good judgment; but there is a path, and there are principles.
Yes, a lot of coaches send home homework and also do have rules about no skills at home. My ds' teammate has a small practice bar at home. When the coach heard he was working his baby giant on it, he put a stop to it and then told him drills to work on at home instead.

Have you told your homeowner's insurance about the home equipment? Some people have been unable to be insured when they had a home trampoline. There are also many lawsuits due to injures, and no the companies won't tell you about them. They settle out of court to avoid the public record so they can keep selling the equipment.

Yes, a lot of coaches send home homework and also do have rules about no skills at home. My ds' teammate has a small practice bar at home. When the coach heard he was working his baby giant on it, he put a stop to it and then told him drills to work on at home instead.

Have you told your homeowner's insurance about the home equipment? Some people have been unable to be insured when they had a home trampoline. There are also many lawsuits due to injures, and no the companies won't tell you about them. They settle out of court to avoid the public record so they can keep selling the equipment.

Yes- I pay a higher premium for the trampolines :( And I wish our coaches would send home homework. I swear it's a secret!!!

I don't own a trampoline. I was endeavoring to understand the unique situation of the OP.

I was a diving coach as well. One thing, when she gets to twisting, it is different, and D always reminds me that he has to land feet first LOL!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back