Off Topic Icelandic volcano and Euros meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The Euros meet has been moved back one day (for now that is) as the cloud of ash hoevering over Europe had stopped virtually all plane travel.

Hopefully our Icelandic members are all fine, we do have two! Let us know if you log in please!

Such an unseen natural phenomena can change the way the globe works in just a short time.

I am supposed to fly on Tuesday, to the UK to surprise my parents after not seeing them for four years, but it is increasingly looking like I won't get there. But I am glad I decided to surprise them as this way they will not be too dissappointed (who doesn't want a Bog turning up on their doorstep?? :D) I am also concerned about getting there and the volcono going off again and getting stuck in the UK (I'd just move in with Gymnut1), the kids suggest a wet suit and some water wings and swim home!!

It looks like many people are stuck on vacation or on business trips and it will take some time for them to get to their homes. NO lives have been lost, so we should all be very happy.

We live near Bradford airport. It is weird not seeing the planes all day long. This time of year there is usually a long stream coming in across Leeds.

I read a funny story today a 2 business men stuck in France managed to get on a ferry but the only tickets left were set aside for cyclists. So the ferry people insisted they had to ride bikes on. They bought second hand ones in a shop and he had a ladies bike and get this his friend rode a little girls pink one on with a little basket and everything. What a hoot. Wish there had been pictures!

If you don't make it PM me and I'll send twirls. Heinz tomato soup might be more difficult. lol. Yum had that for dinner too!

Count my dad in as one of those stuck in London while on a business trip.

One of his co-workers was nice enough to let him have a spare room in their house though. He's been looking for a way out, but everything is booked up. Maybe I should tell him to get a little pink girl's bike ;).

Its a big inconvenience, but at least he is safe and well.

The whole "not seeing planes being weird" thing is exactly what my parents remember about 9/11 and the days after.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am glad he has a good place to stay and I hope he likes London as he may be there for a while. The QE2 is sailing from Southhampton (about 90 mins by train) to NYC on Tuesday morning. AN inside berth is $1200 for the six days including all food and drink. I t may be the only way to get home. Unfotunately that six day voyage is hard to commit to, but if things drag on it may the new travel of the future.

Eurostar to/from France and fly from there is what many people are doing. Unfortunately eurostar are not being very efficient at getting the trains filled and everybody where they need to be.
I have friends stuck in russia, madrid and a good friend and her 7 year old daughter are stuck in dubai!

Bog - you are very welcome here too! I am very close to an airport.

Right now there are no airports open in Paris, a couple are open in the very south and a few in Southern Spain.

AT this point I think I won't be going anywhere, sad but I cannot afford to get stuck in the UK.

I think some folk are beng very creative about getting home, but that doers require access to lots of cash and a huge amount of patience.

I guess I'll be spending my day trying to cancel prebooked hotels etc. Cannot decide to tell mother that I was coming, will that help or hurt?

Maybe I need to plan a CB roadtrip next time I am in the UK!

He says the Brits are very friendly, hospitable people, and that's made things a little easier to deal with. He's just annoyed at all the travel people who are clueless about the reality of what is going on.

Right now his plan is to travel by train to either Madrid or Rome and fly back to NY. His firm doesn't seem too concerned with how much it will cost to get their people back to where they need to be, since they won't be paying travel expenses for anyone going to Europe for a while if this lasts, and everyone is "more productive" when they are at their home office.

If he gets the Eurostar to Paris, he can catch the Elipsos night train to Barcelona or Madird (though Barcelona is further south and may be better). Can bee booked on www.renfe.es, i f you speak spanish, or on the tgv europe website. The night train runs from Paris Austerlitz and has private rooms and a full dinner servce, it is very time effective, 11 hours and most of it will be whilst the traveller is sleeping.

Good luck to him and glad his company is prepared to get him home. Lots of people are not enjoying the same level of support.

Wow Bog, you sure do know how to get around Europe :)! I'll be sure to pass the info on (and yes, we can read Spanish).

I think he's finally in the "acceptance" phase now, and he's gotten over the fact that its inconvenient and all, so he's just going to stay for a few more days, work from his office there, and hope for the best in a few days. He says its best to save the seats on the first flights for those who really really need to travel right away, and a few extra days away from the boss isn't a bad thing from his perspective.

Its amazing to think how we take for granted the fact that we can drive to the airport (especially JFK here in NY) and fly almost anywhere in the world in a matter of hours until suddenly, we can't. Its also amazing to see how interconnected the Americans/Canadians and Europeans are as a result of the quick flights across "the pond", and how badly disrupted that relationship has become the past few days.

Aww Bog, thats such unfortunate timing for you!

One of our little gymnasts missed her first ever competition at the weekend as she was on holiday in Hong Kong - no flights out of the UK meant that their return aeroplane couldn't get over to HK in the first place so they can't get back!
I also have a couple of friends on separate holidays in Australia - I know one is making his way back slowly - not heard from the other!

It really is crazy to think how much we take for granted!

On a slefish note, I'm so glad they haven't had to cancel Euros altogether - which I think was on the cards - purely because I've been looking forward to going since last year!

Well my flight is cancelled, I will spend the day on the phone cancelling non-cancellable hotel rooms. What a waste!

Hopefully the countries concerned will make an effort to repatriate their citizends asap and the volcano chills out!

Airlines are starting to demand recompense.

Let's see....
Bailouts.
Trying to wiggle out of paying pensions.
Ryanair wants to remove lavatories to put in more seats ($$) and charge to use the remaining loos.
Spirit Air is going to charge for carry-on baggage.

The airlines can bite me.

Having said that I also think that people who travel without insurance shouldn't be allowed on planes, it is just asking for trouble!

I know people way up in British AIrways and know that their cabin staff have the best pay and conditions in an industry that is struggling so then they strike and ruin everyones Easter plans! Bad plan.

As for Ryanair, it would be my last choice of carrier, but that man knew how to handle the volcano, from day 1 he cancelled flights for three days and then he cancelled a further three days. From a passenger perspective that was the best way of "knowing" what was going to happen.

NY did your Dad make it home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back