Ideas to Welcome New Families to Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
We have a number of new families joining our team this year. Does anyone have ideas we can use to help the new families feel welcome and more integrated? Last year we had a couple new families leave at the end of the season, and I still wonder if part of the reason they left was because they felt like outsiders. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Also, random comment, I wish there was a "like" or "awesome" button similar to the "thanks" button. It would be great to have a way to quickly acknowledge some of the comments (in particular by gymnasts who mastered new skills).

You could have a parent get together/ party type thing at the beginning of the season where parents can get to know eachother and talk about non-gym things. Then you should have a parent meeting to let them know about the gym/team a few times during the year. I think it would be good for the parents to be able to talk to each other about things not related to the gym. We did this at my old gym, and my parents said they really liked having one party not about gymnastics, but to just get to know each other. They also liked how it made them feel more included when I first started at the gym. Then, the parent meeting made them feel like they knew what was going on in the gym throughout the year.

Our gym also pairs older gymnasts with younger gymnasts. They give each other gifts before meets, and also during holidays.

MamaofEnS

some sort of get together for the parents maybe an hour or so before pick up with maybe some parent to parent info.

How about the "how to keep that hair up on your daughters head for competitions" night. You know how to make that bun stick to the top of the head and never flip out

I agree too with the "great" "I agree" buttons next to the "thanks" button. How about a "your welcome" button too.

What a thoughtful idea.

When we moved, and dd started at a new gym, I think it was about 4 or 5 months before another parent talked with me at any length. We were well into the competition season before I knew more than just a couple of parents names and felt that I could sit near them. A lot of this was my fault because I am an introvert and very (almost cripplingly) shy around people I do not know. I think it was harder on me at the new gym than it was on my dd.

If someone had just chatted with me, asked me some questions, talked about some random bits of gym info I might not know yet, and introduced me to some other parents - I would have been grateful. Some parents can come in and make themselves welcome. Others, like me, need some help feeling welcome. It doesn't need to be formal, just take time to say hi to that new mom or dad, then turn around and introduce them to a couple more parents. It is surprising how this kind of goodwill can spread, not only to the new parents, but amoungst the veteran parents as well to create a great gym atmosphere.

I've often wished Pickle's gym did a big/little sister program. Her swim team did it and it was great. It wasn't just for the kids. The big sister's parents were also available to answer questions and offer support.

I also love the idea of a making a bun class.

i was kinda thinking that they could be handed a used 'boot' or a couple rolls of tape and pre-wrap to get started...;)

A parent viewing room is great. My mum made friends with two of my other friends mom's there :) And the classes such as "how to make that bun stick" class is a great idea!!!

Our gym also pairs older gymnasts with younger gymnasts. They give each other gifts before meets, and also during holidays.

MamaofEnS

I've often wished Pickle's gym did a big/little sister program. Her swim team did it and it was great. It wasn't just for the kids. The big sister's parents were also available to answer questions and offer support

What a thoughtful idea.

If someone had just chatted with me, asked me some questions, talked about some random bits of gym info I might not know yet, and introduced me to some other parents - I would have been grateful. Some parents can come in and make themselves welcome. Others, like me, need some help feeling welcome. It doesn't need to be formal, just take time to say hi to that new mom or dad, then turn around and introduce them to a couple more parents. It is surprising how this kind of goodwill can spread, not only to the new parents, but amoungst the veteran parents as well to create a great gym atmosphere.

My only caution with the first two ideas regarding big sister/little sister is that it can balloon out of control...at our gym we had this program and supposedly you were to buy "little gifts or just a card" but this soon morphed into a who could out do who (and cost a lot of money!!) or the complete opposite , the big sister who didn't even acknowledge the little sister at all with even a note or a card!!

I do like Gymjoy's statement of just being friendly and introducing yourself and others to the new parent. The informal get together (not gym related) is nice too. We also had a parent rep for each level who kind of coordinated the away trips, who was staying where, some dinner plans so that could help too.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I like the bun idea myself, but I'm not sure our gym has any hair artists. Another idea we had was a dessert night around one of the CPA meetings. I suppose nothing beats a friendly hello as well. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Something I think would be cool is to have a gymnasts vers parents night. You could get a whole bunch of games, and gymnastics related contests, (relay races, handstand contests, strengh contests, ect.) and have 2 teams the gymnasts and the parents. Then you could challenge each other. This way you aren't putting competition between the gymnasts, they would have to work together, and they will get to know each other better, and the parents would have a chance to meet each other.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I like the bun idea myself, but I'm not sure our gym has any hair artists. Another idea we had was a dessert night around one of the CPA meetings. I suppose nothing beats a friendly hello as well. Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Every mom who had a DD on team and has long hair is a hair artist.

When we first started I had no idea how to get my daughters thick very long down to her waist hair to stay up until one of the other parents at a practice who's DD has hair similar to my DD showed up and I asked her how she gets that hair not to fall out. She not only told me but showed me since her DD didn't have her hair up yet. In 15 min she had the whole thing up and secure. My first attempt to do the same took over an hour LOL now in 10 - 15 min its up and secured. I am asked many time by new L4 parents the same question I asked all those years ago and I am happy to share. I always thought how nice it would have been to have an hour or so on a Sat afternoon with the L4 (or new to this sport) moms and daughters to show them how to make that bun stick. It was never done even though I did offer to do it when I was at my old gym.

At our old gym the owner always sent girls to me to fix the attempts of less skilled moms when we had meets. Moms always looked on amazed how quickly I can whip up that bun. I know when I was L4 mom I would have love a how to do a bun night to meet the other moms and learn howthe other moms got that bun to stick.

find the mom whos kid has the longest and thickest hair She will be yor hair artist.

My DD's bun has been done the morning of the day before a meet, gone through a whole day of school a whole night of practice, been slept on and still was there the next day for the meet. It only needed a little spray to get some flyaways under control.

Every mom who had a DD on team and has long hair is a hair artist.

When we first started I had no idea how to get my daughters thick very long down to her waist hair to stay up until one of the other parents at a practice who's DD has hair similar to my DD showed up and I asked her how she gets that hair not to fall out. She not only told me but showed me since her DD didn't have her hair up yet. In 15 min she had the whole thing up and secure. My first attempt to do the same took over an hour LOL now in 10 - 15 min its up and secured. I am asked many time by new L4 parents the same question I asked all those years ago and I am happy to share. I always thought how nice it would have been to have an hour or so on a Sat afternoon with the L4 (or new to this sport) moms and daughters to show them how to make that bun stick. It was never done even though I did offer to do it when I was at my old gym.

At our old gym the owner always sent girls to me to fix the attempts of less skilled moms when we had meets. Moms always looked on amazed how quickly I can whip up that bun. I know when I was L4 mom I would have love a how to do a bun night to meet the other moms and learn howthe other moms got that bun to stick.

find the mom whos kid has the longest and thickest hair She will be yor hair artist.

My DD's bun has been done the morning of the day before a meet, gone through a whole day of school a whole night of practice, been slept on and still was there the next day for the meet. It only needed a little spray to get some flyaways under control.

Ok now I think I need a video so that I can learn. LOL.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back