Is there not a topic for NCAA Men's Gymnastics???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My Question is - I have heard that there is a NCAA ruling that only 19 men can be on a Collegiate Team (counted in the Roster) - I think only 15 can travel. If this is true why is Illinois, Michigan and other schools already posting their team rosters on line with 21 and 24 and more athletes? This does not make sense to me.

There is not a NCAA men's forum...we just use the MAG forum for all men's gymnastics...JO, NCAA, Elite. I don't know the answer to your question...anyone else know the answer?

My Question is - I have heard that there is a NCAA ruling that only 19 men can be on a Collegiate Team (counted in the Roster) - I think only 15 can travel. If this is true why is Illinois, Michigan and other schools already posting their team rosters on line with 21 and 24 and more athletes? This does not make sense to me.

that's a great question but not the info i have in my head. i'll have an answer for you tonight.:)

okay, here you go gymdad. 19 is a title 9 thing. and it's not how many are on a team. this is where you threw me off.

you can have as many gymnasts on a team as you want provided that the athletic dept. has approved it. what alot of people don't know is that it costs just as much money to have a walk on as it does a scholarship athlete.

with that said, the 19 (and the coach i consulted is currently a college coach for mens) is the number that is submitted for a competition. that 19 can change from meet to meet depending on who the coach wants to put on a floor.

he also said that if 15 is the traveling number he doesn't know about it. he laughed that there are so few male gymnasts, and the budgets are so closely watched by the athletic deparment, that nobody travels with 15.

hope this clarifies.:)

Thanks Dunno - you are awesome.

Can you clarify (sorry if I am being picky) but is there a difference between being on the roster and being on the team. Does that make sense? Also, I was pretty sure there was a cap of athletes each school can bring to a meet and dress out and compete from. I mean Michigan who has roughly 30 guys on their team this year - they will not be permitted to bring all 30 (even if their budget was unlimited) to every meet and dress them out and use those 30 in the line up any way possible. I was almost certain that within each Men's NCAA Meet they could only dress out 15 guys and they had to compete all 6 rotations within the number of guys on their "meet roster" - but the following week they could have a totally different "meet roster" but still have to stay within that current new roster.

It just seems that most of the schools that our recruiting kids have dealt with have all stated they can only have 19 on their official roster/team. Maybe it is just a common number that most colleges are going to as a base number. They have to limit that number to a certain amount I know for budget purposes.

Just a side note, how in the heck can a school like Michigan keep up to 30 guys in their stable and would that not in itself make them a more competitive team? I think there should be a solid lock of the number of kids on a roster at some point and it should be the same at each school. If something happens to one of those kids throughout the year, they could move someone up from the club team etc...

Dunno - I like your style and I appreciate your help!

yes, there is a difference but really just semantics. you can have 30 on the "team" but the coach will have to name the "roster" for each and every competition. it can change week to week based on things like injury, sickness, family death, etc; and this and below apply to the women also.

some of the colleges "limit" exactly how many can be on a team from the full scholarships, to partials to walk ons. what the school does has nothing to do with the NCAA. the limit is "12" for the women on full athletic scholarship. the most for men at any given school left that has boys might be 6. i have not heard more than 6.

like i said, my colleague is not sure what your mentioning about the number "15". and let's say it is 15, they won't all compete all around. this applies to the women also. and my colleague says he doesn't know anything of a "19" rule but that it might be a title 9 issue but does not apply to gymnastics.

and the 30 guys thing. remember that there are only 14 D1 mens programs. so if club has a bumper crop graduating class, you could find that many on several teams because they only have a pick of 14. unlike the women which have a pick of 88 (i think that was the last number i saw).

as far as college club, these kids seldom will be on the regular team. they have their own competition schedule with regionals and club nationals. it's a whole different ball game.

and as far as budgets, all the schools are different. some will only allow a couple of walk ons. but look at Iowa mens and women. they have a lot of walk ons. more than most of the schools. and i suppose this can be an advantage. if most of the team goes down with the flu they have many to pick from to field a team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back