WAG Becoming a Judge

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am interested in becoming a judge but I’m not sure how the process works or what I can do to prepare. I have the xcel code of points and have been studying it. Until I turn 16 next summer, what else can I do?

At least in my region, the judge's association is pretty excited to recruit new judges. I would reach out to your local judge's association and contact someone to ask how you can get involved - I'm sure they can and would like to point you in the right direction. I think USAG has sample judging tests as well for you to get an idea of what you should study.

I don’t know anything about the formal process in the USA, but helpful preparation would include learning judges shorthand, and practicing using it to transcribe routines in real time. It’s also really helpful watching routines on video with a trained judge and having them talk you through the scoring. Or just sitting in the gym scoring routines as kids are training. It takes a fair bit of practice to be able to watch for feet, knees, body alignment, height, etc all at the same time!

I am interested in becoming a judge but I’m not sure how the process works or what I can do to prepare. I have the xcel code of points and have been studying it. Until I turn 16 next summer, what else can I do?
If you study the Xcel code, you take the Xcel test and can only judge Xcel. If you want to judge DP USAG, then you need to study the level 4/5 code and pass the test for level 4/5. Then you can judge AAU compulsories as well as DP and lower level Xcel. After passing the test, you’ll need a USAG Jr Pro membership, an NAWGJ membership, an AAU membership if applicable, a background check, navy pants and a white shirt. You’ll also need to pass the USAG Safety Certification and SafeSport tests. Plan to spend about $300 to get started after you pass your test.

For now, study that 4/5 code and get familiar with levels 7/8 as you can take that test after passing the 4/5 test. Also contact your state judging director and let her know of your interest in becoming a judge. You can also get familiar with continuing education requirements, and start practice judging YouTube compulsory routines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back