WAG It's vestibular, right?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do think they (the coaches) know in their brains but their hearts and soles are frustrated since they know she can do it...she knows she can do it.... But her body won't go.

I know I'm not a coach and I probably won't say a word, but I wish everyday they'd let her do some on the floor/low beam with panels, fold down the panel, medium...whatever place she can get to that day. In my brain that makes sense to have her do them where they feel ok hoping that her brain and body get comfy with them again.

Everything I have read says if the gymnast won't do it (for example) on high beam and balks say 3 times, move it back to where she is comfortable. Let the kid get confidence back and then take it from there.

Sometimes you have to go back to then go forward again. And that is absolutely fine.

Will she do it on the floor?
Yes, she is currently doing them on the floor and on a "medium" beam with a spot. Yesterday she would do the first but couldn't go for the second on low beam. She will do 2 on high beam as part of a drill that the second one is on a resi/mat stack off the end of the beam.
They have multiple different beam coaches through the week and there hasn't really been a single approach or an ongoing daily plan/progression. One coach has her do really slow connections on low beam w/o panels and she can do that. But another coach says too much of the "just go" "just connect it" I think his frustration exaggerates her frustration and that is contributing to the block? IDK, I am just a parent hoping to see my kid being able to love her sport again after this is behind her.

She's been working through this block since about July. She had made some progress (per her report) and then had a set back. She had her HS BHS back on high a month ago and then (?anothe growth change) blocked that too. Last HS BHS on low beam connect was 1.5 weeks ago.

She thinks that if she could just every day start low and go slow moving up until stuck, then numbers that day back to where the highest possible place is that day.

Reactions: sce
If she will throw the skill but just not on beam then it's mental... Vestibular could and will initiate the mistrust in ones self. But doing it one place but not another is an additional problem, which is almost always a factor. An example would be vaulting fine in the pit but balking on the hard ground. Regardless of the problem , time and stress free healing are the only antidote. That is my opinion. Getting her BHS floating and refining technique along with strength will help her to trust her self.

I think it was vestibular initially as she lost it everywhere but I think it has become a mental block as she got it back and lost it again admit growth and some negative talk from a coach and her self negative talk re:it.
I just keep hoping it will pass...soon....

Reactions: sce
I just keep hoping it will pass...soon....

It will pass. How soon is relative. No matter when, I am sure it won't be soon enough for you or her until it is in the rear view mirror.

I repeat this to myself often. They get it when they get it. And they get over it when they get over it.

For the most part they get past it. Its not really a question of if but when. And the when is beyond our control.

Time, most of this stuff is about time.

Seriously, all you can do here is reassure her that if she's patient, it will come back. Encourage her to take the pressure off herself and focus on all the other things that are undoubtedly going well for her in the gym. Don't allow her gym experience to be defined by this one frustration. It is common and it will pass eventually. Most of all, your message should reinforce the idea that this is not a big deal, even as you recognize that it's distressing for her.

whether it is labeled vestibular or a mental block, I would say your actions would be the same as others have said-- patience and reassurance. My DD has done through a lot of mental blocks- tough to watch. Hope your DD quickly gets over it so she can enjoy!

It is common and it will pass eventually. Most of all, your message should reinforce the idea that this is not a big deal, even as you recognize that it's distressing for her.

This is so so true. Empathetic is good. Overly empathetic is not good. Kids will feed of us. If we make a big deal, they make it a bigger deal.

Our job is to be their soft place to fall.

Hoping not to jinx anything, but I have gotten a couple texts this week with many happy emojis!
Thanks again friends for talking us through this...
It's interesting too that the overcome-the-block fairy has sprinkled pixie dust on many other friends this week as well.

Everything I have read says if the gymnast won't do it (for example) on high beam and balks say 3 times, move it back to where she is comfortable. Let the kid get confidence back and then take it from there.

Sometimes you have to go back to then go forward again. And that is absolutely fine.

^This is exactly what worked for my daughter.

It was a rough time (over a year) after her "blocks" started. She was a level 9 and her coaches did not believe in blocks. Yes, they said that. Her move came after an injury where she was specifically told by doctors and her physical therapist to stay out of gym for a specific amount of time. I was told by the gym owner and coaches that she needed to be in gym because they know elbow injuries and they didn't think she should be off that long.

Here's to hoping all of your gymnasts with blocks or vestibular issues are in the hands of coaches who are understanding :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back