WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Beam seems the hardest place to get this bonus. E skills on beam are crazy. I think the most common would be an Onodi and a layout to two feet. But then we are talking standing back fulls or Arabians or front tuck half. For dismounts it would be like a triple twist or a double front.

On bars you see lots of Es out and about. Same with floor. Beam Es seem to be much more rare.

I do know a girl that does a double front dismount and it is beautiful but everyone in a place gasps in full when she does it.
The E dismounts on beam will finally get rewarded . Up until now they just get hit with deductions on landing chest position and sticking. Now you will see exciting dismounts.

It depends on the situation. I have had older girls, that were never going to go past 6 or 7, that I have pushed up. These girls are hard workers and team leaders. They will place on the other 3 events. They will go to high school and discover cheerleading or diving and end up teaching preschool and rec classes. They just want there own routine and love gymnastics. At many gyms, if they go into Xcel, they no longer workout with their teammates.

Well, you need a flyaway for level 5, and you have to score out of level 5 before level 6, so I'm assuming that you would be stuck in 4 or xcel either way.

It’s worth noting that the L5 flyaway follows tap swings. According to my DD, it is scarier doing a flyaway (in her case, a layout) from handstand. While mine ultimately had no problem with it, there were several girls on her L6 team who successfully competed the L5 flyaway but started the L6 season afraid to do it from handstand. In these cases, an alternative dismount was helpful as they worked through the fear.

It’s worth noting that the L5 flyaway follows tap swings. According to my DD, it is scarier doing a flyaway (in her case, a layout) from handstand. While mine ultimately had no problem with it, there were several girls on her L6 team who successfully competed the L5 flyaway but started the L6 season afraid to do it from handstand. In these cases, an alternative dismount was helpful as they worked through the fear.
Lol, none of our L6s do a flyaway from handstand. One does it out of a clear hip, one does it out of a cast push away (horizontal cast), and the rest take the deduction and do it out of 1 tap swing.

This is how my DD lost it the second time (first time was a freak accident). She was fine from a tap swing but completely lost it all from a cast or clear hip to handstand. Allowing an alternative allowed her to keep competing.

So it looks like notable changes at L10 and L6.....

Besides the big vault shake-up, anything new for L7? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: sce
When I studied for my last round of judging exams, I used flashcards on Quizlet. I just received notification that one of the "authors" of the flashcards I used has posted new "decks."

So, it looks like at least someone has their hands on the new code (or more likely, it is someone who is testing National/Brevet and already has study materials).

Notable
changes I see in the level 10 updates (https://quizlet.com/286525673/2018-2022-jr-olympic-level-10-update-changes-flash-cards/):
- Level 10s can earn an extra bonus +0.10 on BB, FX, and UB if they have 0.6 in bonus and an E element --> so a 10.1 SV is theoretically possible like on vault for those very difficult routines
- SVs for basic front handspring vaults (and variations) are down 0.1
- Bar dismount has to be a salto. Not like anyone does hecht dismounts any more.
- UB composition deductions are simplified and clarified. For no composition deductions, cannot face same direction through whole routine and needs to have 2 of the following 3: Forward element excludes dismount, pirouette element, 3/6/7 circle (clear hip, stalker, toe-hand)
- BB composition deductions are simplified and clarified
- BB Split leap value to a B
- FX composition deductions simplified and clarified: new deduction for dance not up to competitive level (0.2) and dismount not up to competitive level (0.1)
Does front to back series on beam have a deduction on level 10?

So these changes seem reasonable and way less drastic than what I have been hearing! Thank you for sharing! I am new to the level 8 world. What are some of the up to competition level deductions that are now spelled out?

I am very curious about the "up to competition level deductions" for Level 8 as well...how does that work exactly?

I am very curious about the "up to competition level deductions" for Level 8 as well...how does that work exactly?
How does it work as in the concept/idea or how does it work as in doing X and Y gives no deduction but Z and W gives -0.15?

For those following along at home & putting together your own COP from the updates/corrections, the first update is available here. Link goes straight to the pdf. Unfortunately, the up to level deductions haven't been corrected yet and neither has the page with the illustrations of the L6/L7 vault choices, but some of the L6/L7 vault information is there and so is the switch leap change.

Glad to see this new update. I have been patiently waiting. I am glad that the rumors around here are most likely wrong! I am curious, is it expected that the up to level deductions will be spelled out more specifically? For example, not up to level acro in level 8 beam is lack of __________?

Glad to see this new update. I have been patiently waiting. I am glad that the rumors around here are most likely wrong! I am curious, is it expected that the up to level deductions will be spelled out more specifically? For example, not up to level acro in level 8 beam is lack of __________?
Yes, the exact up to level deductions for each 0.05 from 0 to -0.2 are spelled out for all applicable events for L8-L10. They are in the COP which has been released to those who pre-ordered the paper copies; I'm not sure about the electronic version release date. The up to level deductions should eventually be available to everyone for free in Appendix 15 on the JO Optionals sectional of the USAG website, but I assume they are waiting until after the current competitive season to post them to avoid confusion.

The new update that I linked to is actually the corrections to the already released 2018-2022 COP - it took less than a week to start adding corrections (though most are typographical errors).

You can meet the score out requirement without that flyaway, or when you do it with a spot.
Yes, but why would you do that? To do level 6 and then just quit? Because you do need a flyaway for level 7. In that case, you might as well just do xcel gold, and do all level 5/6/7 skills, with no flyaway (at least until you get a flyaway). Because unless you are planning on quitting after level 6, there is no point because you won't be able to progress and compete level 7 (not very well, at least). What I mean is that at some point, if you want to continue doing gymnastics, you need a flyaway. Even if it takes a while, you are doing to need it, so you might as well work on level 5, get a nice flyaway, and then do level 6 and up with no problems. That's why I don't understand why the bar requirements for 5 are harder than 6!

Yes, but why would you do that? To do level 6 and then just quit? Because you do need a flyaway for level 7. In that case, you might as well just do xcel gold, and do all level 5/6/7 skills, with no flyaway (at least until you get a flyaway). Because unless you are planning on quitting after level 6, there is no point because you won't be able to progress and compete level 7 (not very well, at least). What I mean is that at some point, if you want to continue doing gymnastics, you need a flyaway. Even if it takes a while, you are doing to need it, so you might as well work on level 5, get a nice flyaway, and then do level 6 and up with no problems. That's why I don't understand why the bar requirements for 5 are harder than 6!
I’m not sure I can agree. Doing L6 (successfully) without the flyaway gave my DD time to come up with alternative plans. Her coach’s plan for L7/8 is to do a toe on because it’s less scary for my DD, as everything forward is less scary for her. That said, continuing to lag on one event, ie not having a full SV on bars isn’t the end of the world and shouldn’t be. A girl can still be competitive in other events or even the AA with one event that’s behind her rest.

I’m not sure I can agree. Doing L6 (successfully) without the flyaway gave my DD time to come up with alternative plans. Her coach’s plan for L7/8 is to do a toe on because it’s less scary for my DD, as everything forward is less scary for her. That said, continuing to lag on one event, ie not having a full SV on bars isn’t the end of the world and shouldn’t be. A girl can still be competitive in other events or even the AA with one event that’s behind her rest.
Just an FYI, toe-on salto dismouts are valued at C and up, so unallowable at level 7.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back