WAG Just conditioning for 3 weeks?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wgymmom

Proud Parent
Due to some extraordinary circumstances, it is very likely that my daughter could end up doing mostly just conditioning with "a bit" of event work in there for 3 or so weeks this summer. This is not our choice. She is not injured. She finished L5 in December.

How badly is she going to lose skills? She has precarious holds on several L7 skills now, but has already lost some progressions towards others. She is almost a teen and a very hard worker. She wants to do 7, but I'm afraid she's going to be stuck at 6 for a whole spring season come 2016.

I can't really say much more due to privacy.

Has this happened to anyone else?

My DD was out for about 12 weeks at the end of her spring, old level 6 (new 5) due to gymnast wrists in both her wrists. She mostly did conditioning, exercises from her PT, double mini into a pit mat, floor and beam dance throughs as she couldn't use her hands for anything, so no bars, vault, tumbling besides a few front flips, etc. It took her a bit to come back fully, but she made it to level 7 the following spring. I don't know if that helps, but maybe?

sounds like they want her stronger. Her skills should improve after, i wouldn't worry too much (except for the soreness and complaining!LOL)

I would be annoyed if it was being done as some sort of "punishment". But I also think a coach could reasonably decide that girls aren't getting skills because their bodies are just not ready for them and that 3 weeks conditioning right now are better spent than continuing to work on the skills. I imagine she'll have a much easier time with getting herself ready for lvl7 after all that focus on conditioning! Especially if she's a hard worker :)

I bet she will be fine. To be successful at Level 7 and beyond it takes an immense amount of upper body and core strength. Look at the positives of this situation - if she applies herself intensely to this opportunity she will have the requisite strength to really rock upper level optionals. Any lost skills will come back and most likely better because she will be stronger.

I haven't done gymnastics for 3 weeks I've gone in just conditioned, no clue when I'll be able to go back. You just need to make sure she does a lot of it, everybody part everyday.

It's only level 7, so no 3 weeks of getting stronger is not going to doom her to repeat.

Reactions: sce
Our entire team does nothing but conditioning through the entire month of June. I have to assume there is a reason for this and that the coaches think that the time not doing skills is worth it in gained strength. I haven't seen any adverse effects beyond very sore muscles.

Our entire team does nothing but conditioning through the entire month of June. I have to assume there is a reason for this and that the coaches think that the time not doing skills is worth it in gained strength. I haven't seen any adverse effects beyond very sore muscles.
There is some research that it's good to give the body a rest by changing the routine of ab athlete. Maybe this is the idea here. Condition to build strength and stamina but no skills to give the body a break?

OP - I agree with others, those 3 weeks should not effect her. Esp. if she is conditioning through out the time.

When I was a kid, I broke my foot in September the year I was level 7. Didn't make a difference at all. Kids rebound from these breaks fast. Three weeks is not a long time if she is still in the gym doing conditioning and basics at this level.

My dd just finished level 5 and is hoping to go level 7. She just came off of 4 weeks of nothing due to a broken foot. Within a week she has most of her skills back to where they were before. I bet she will be fine.

In our summer the girls have a 2 week break for Christmas and New Years. Two years ago they spent their first 3 weeks back only doing conditioning. Their skills went through the roof on the back of their better strength and fitness. Competition clubs were amazed when they saw them at the first comp.

Two years on and our senior team do two weeks of solid conditioning in January and often dedicate a few days to it after holiday breaks during the year. They are doing some pretty advanced skills for their gym levels and ages.

If you trust the coaches in all other areas, then I'd trust them in this too. Like others say, using the body in a different way can be really healthy for a gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back