knee pain everytime she does vault

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

Everytime my 9 year old practices her level 6 vault, she comes home complaining about knee pain on the left leg. I wonder what she is doing wrong. None of her coaches tell her she is doing something wrong. In addition, the gym she belongs in has no pits and she lands on what her coach has described as a pit mat and then 3 stacked 8 inch mats are put on top. She did not have this same complaint when she did her vault in level 5. The pain goes away if she does not do vault and returns everytime she practices her level 6 vault. Any insight?

I really don't know what would be causing it, but my DD has had a summer of minor issues, so I can relate. I would recommend icing and ibuprofen every day. If it doesn't clear up soon, it is best to see a doctor.

Good luck!

Per the moderators request, I won't get into possible medical problems that cousld be causing the knee pain. I doubt its actually her vault technique. As Lizzy said, ice it 2-3x/day, ibuprofen and tell her coaches. She should try limiting vaulting for a week or so and see if the pain goes away. If not, take her to a doctor.

Your best bet would be to talk to a doctor. It's better to talk to one now, than to continue vaulting and have it become worse (which could translate into taking time off). Tell her not to do anything that causes pain for the time being (until you talk to a doctor). Look at it this way one hour out of your day at the doctor's office is better than, hours at the doctor's office because you didn't go in the first place. She is only 9 and she needs that knee for the rest of her life, so look after it well.

My 9 year old also has had knee pain this summer. Can't remember what it was but she had to stay off vault for 4 weeks and limit tumbling and dismounts. I would see a doctor just in case. You don't want her to make it worse.

BTW I thought the level 5 and 6 vaults were the same? Hope it clears up with some rest/ advice.

My gymmie went through the same thing but at the beginning of L5 vault and moved to other areas. There could be several reasons for why this is happening depending on exactly where the pain is so I suggest you take her to a sports medicine dr to have it checked out. Did she grow this summer? My gymmies problem was with the patella tendon, having tight quads and hammie as well as growing faster than the muscle can stretch. The tendon and quad were playing tug of war with her knee cap! Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for everyone's response to my post. I'll tell her coach. Maybe they'll watch her closely to see if she is indeed doing something wrong. The pain goes away within hours after she stops doing vault. I've brought up the pain she is experiencing with her pediatrician. Should I bring her to a sports medicine doctor or orthopedic surgeon?

And yes, the level 5 and 6 vault is the same. I just differentiated the level to make a point that last year she had no problems but sh does this year. And I don't know if she has grown this year. That may be a good point too.

I wouldn't assume that her vault technique is causing the problem, although landing on completely straight legs can be potentially dangerous, so if she was doing that it could be an issue. She should probably go to a doctor.

common. get a pair of chopats, for soon it will 'jump' to the other knee also. wear both.

My gymmie has been to both an ortho and a sports dr. My suggestion is to take her just to check it out. Try to find a dr. who knows about gymnastics and understands what is involved with this sport. Let us know how it goes.

my 9 yr old DD had/has a similar problem with L5 vault and front handspring. She went to a sports med doc. She does strength exercises daily and we ice and ibuprofen as needed. She also has to limit her vault and tumbling if it flares up badly. Dr. said she has patellofemoral pain syndrome.

Definitely get it checked out and if they recommend exercises...make sure she does them! They have really helped DD a lot.

Thank you. I am new to gymnastics and assumed either her technique was incorrect and was not getting corrected and/or the gym's lack of a proper landing area. The gym is very old and certainly needs update. But thank you to everyone. Since it comes and goes, I have not brought her to the doctor. But I will. Thanks again.

Right during my competition season in the spring I couldn't tumble or vault all that very much because of my ankle that would throb and kill me as if I had landed short. I believe that I just grew a lot so it was growing pains but I am several years older than her so that might not be it.

If she is good at vaulting I would see if she wouldn't have to vault everyday. That's what I did because I was. If this doesn't work I would see a doctor. Some people's body parts just can't take the sport, for example my wrists cant' so I wear wrist guards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back