Knee PAIN!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymnastics24-7

So my knee has been bothering me for about a month now. I have a knee brace that I wear a few times a week especially if i am going to be doing a lot of walking. I can stand/walk on it OK but running, jumping, or bending a lot is pretty painful. There are days that It is Not TOO painful and then there are days that it is SUPER painful. I have taken some of the summer off of gym (not just because of my knee) So hopefully that will help. Any suggestions ?? has anybody on here experienced the same kind of pain???? Help is APPRECIATED!!!!!!!:(

RICE-Rest, Ice,Compress,Elevate. If it is bothering you that much I would advise you to go see a doctor. I sprained my knee and the best thing to do is just to take some time off and go see a doctor to know what is really going on! :)

Physical Therapy

So my knee has been bothering me for about a month now. I have a knee brace that I wear a few times a week especially if i am going to be doing a lot of walking. I can stand/walk on it OK but running, jumping, or bending a lot is pretty painful. There are days that It is Not TOO painful and then there are days that it is SUPER painful. I have taken some of the summer off of gym (not just because of my knee) So hopefully that will help. Any suggestions ?? has anybody on here experienced the same kind of pain???? Help is APPRECIATED!!!!!!!:(

See a doctor, preferably an Orthopedist or Sports Medicine physician. My daughter's knee pain turned out to be Osgood-Schlatters disease. She was treated with physical therapy consisting of stretches and massage. We were told that it is common among gymnasts who are rapidly growing and/or developing a lot of leg muscle, especially calf muscle. She did not have to stop working out and was able to compete on schedule. They also make knee bands especially for that disease and they work pretty well.

Go get it looked at because you are in pain. There is nothing to lose.

It's most likely a growing pain. It's very common amongst growing gymnasts. The fore-mentioned Osgood Schlatter is one type and there are various tendonitises (each affecting a different part of the knee). They can be very painful; so much that it'll keep you from doing ANYTHING at the gym. They can last for many many months.

Just do a quick search on Google. There are many legit references to be found. Typically, OTS pain killers, quad muscle stretches and simple resting are prescribed. Above all, you may just have to let it run its course.

We have also found that ordinary knee braces do next to nothing for these sorts of pain. Here is one that many found effective:
Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Strap : Knee Supports : Footsmart.com
Just be sure to get the dual version because it stays on better and the velcro lasts much longer.

My DD is going through the same thing and doing physical therapy. You should go to the ortho to see what type of knee problem it is, like NotAMom said there are many different types of problems that require different stretches and supports. Ice as much as possible, rest, and do not keep punching on it is my suggestion until you see the DR.

I have a knee problem as well. I went to a doctor and he told me it was Osgood Schlatters Disease. It is pretty painful however i still do gym like i used to. To help I mostly try to ice it 2 times a day one before gym and one after.

Unfortunatly the only real "cure" is rest, not doing gymnastics for awhile and time. You should be in some type of re-hab program to help the knee. Go back to the Dr and let them know you're still in pain. Overuse issues like this unfortunatly only cure with stopping the cause (gymnastics)

One of the sites on Osgood-Schlatters Disease states the following.
  • Rest. This injury needs rest if it is to heal properly. Only do as much exercise as it will allow without causing pain. Weight bearing exercise will make it worse. Keep your sessions few and high quality rather than train every day.
  • Apply ice or cold therapy to the knee regularly throughout the day to reduce pain and inflammation and particularly following activity or sport. Ice should be applied at least three times a day for 10 to 15 minutes. Ice massage with an ice cube is a convenient way to apply cold therapy to a specific area such as the patella tendon.
  • Gently stretch the quad muscles if comfortable to do so.
  • Use a knee support or brace to help reduce the tension on the knee.
  • See a sports injury professional

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back