Knee support

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ZJsMom

Proud Parent
My dd has been having knee pain. The PT and chiropractor think it's likely a patella tracking issue. The chiro said I could get her one of the open patella knee supports and that would help with pain. Anyway, I was hoping to find something in a skintone that would come in a small size, but I'm coming up empty. Everything seems to be black or blue, which would be fine for practice, but for competition it really breaks up the line and draws the eye to the knee. I swear I've seen gymnasts wearing skintone versions. Could anyone tell me where to get one of these, or give me a brand name?

Thanks!

I could have written your post. My dd has the same problem. We have been taping her knee (McConnell Taping Method) and she has been pain free. We tried to get a brace, but even the XS was too big on her. (she is 12). For now we keep taping and PT. Good Luck

I could have written your post. My dd has the same problem. We have been taping her knee (McConnell Taping Method) and she has been pain free. We tried to get a brace, but even the XS was too big on her. (she is 12). For now we keep taping and PT. Good Luck
I'll let you know if we find something that works.

When you talk about the "Patella Tracking" issue, how does the pain present itself? My daughter has been having an issue with pain in her knee when she runs or walks long distances. The PT at the gym looked at her knee, but could not readily identify the issue.

Larry- My dd pain is right at the bottom of her knee cap. Parallel to the ground. It has been cronic for a long time. It would be better and worse. Since taping it she has been great. She is also a pronator, so she wears orthodics in her shoes and she has a muscular imbalance in her legs (outsides much stronger than the inside muscles). This leads to the patella tracking out of its groove and pulling towards the outside of her leg. (hope that makes some sense) Vault, floor and dismounts caused her pain.

ZJsMom- let me know how it works. My DD is about 4"9 and 82 lbs. What size is your dd? I hope it fits.

This is a new issue for my dd. I believe she's feeling a sharp pain on dismounts and when she moves her knee a certain way. The PT diagnosed it by looking at how she moves.

gymmom-- My dd is just a bit smaller than yours. If this works for her, it should fit your dd too.

Larry- My dd pain is right at the bottom of her knee cap. Parallel to the ground. It has been cronic for a long time. It would be better and worse. Since taping it she has been great. She is also a pronator, so she wears orthodics in her shoes and she has a muscular imbalance in her legs (outsides much stronger than the inside muscles). This leads to the patella tracking out of its groove and pulling towards the outside of her leg. (hope that makes some sense) Vault, floor and dismounts caused her pain.

This is exactly the same problem my son has. He has just been fitted with orthotics and this has made a huge difference. It was also discovered that one of his legs was longer than the other so the orthotics also fixed that problem.

Unfortunately he cannot wear the orthotics to gym. I cannot think of anyway around this problem other than him wearing sneakers for floor and vault! Anyone else got any suggestions?

Our PT said as long as she wears the orthodics all day, she does not need them for gym. So that is what we have been doing. She wears them in her sneakers all day for school and then bare foot at the gym. It has worked great.

Unfortunately the leg length difference has resulted in his lower back having some discomfort. He trained yesterday and there was only minimal pain in his knees, but we did not vault or do things like backflips/handsprings/roundoffs. He has only had the orthotics since last Wednesday but there has been a dramatic improvement already.

Fingers crossed that the day time orthotics will mean that he is ok when not wearing them at gym. Back to physio tomorrow for follow up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back