L7 Beam BHS skill

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duganjorb

Proud Parent
need to know if a BHS on beam is a required skill or just a nice to have skill to compete Level 7 for the 2010-2011 competition season. DD did PO Gold last season and did a round off for her flight element. But coach won't let her compete L7 until she has BHS. She's got her giant and all other L7 skills except that one.

Thanks

Just going by USAG rules - the requirement is a flight element, therefore the round off should be good to go. But obviously, gyms can have different (internal) rules. A bhs is very well liked as it's a progression to a proper flight series, whereas there is relatively little you could do in L8 with a round off (forward connections, or even those with a change of direction are relative hard to get credit for and a round off - back tuck is not allowed in level 8). Therefore I understand why the coach is pushing the bhs. She could however compete 7 with the roundoff and still work the bhs - but that's something you'd have to figure out with the coach.

Last edited:
A BHS is NOT REQUIRED!!!! for level 7 and it annoys me so much when people insist it is. Same thing with giants, they aren't required either. Of course, a BHS is a very versatile skill and is very important to be able to do it at some point or another, but to hold a gymnast back just because she hasn't got it? No.

I suggest talking with the coach about letting her compete level 7 with a round off (or even just a dive cartwheel would be fine) but still devoting lots of time to working on her BHS. She WILL get it and maybe even be able to compete it later in the season.

I agree with Griz and would like to add that I have yet to see a round off done in isolation on the beam that did not get deducted.

A round off on beam does not receive a deduction. I competed it in level 7, and I got around in the 35's the whole season.

To be specific, you are required to have a flight skill in your routine. It could be in or out of your series. Flight is any skill that you get fully off the beam in a flip. But of course, it needs to be no more than a B skill in level 7. The flight skill area is worth .5 of your SV. So if you do not have your flight skill, you will have a 9.5 SV. Also, the flight skill area is in the same area as the series, so if you do not connect your series, and you do not get your flight, then your start value is still just a 9.5.

Flight skills can be back handsprings, front handsprings, and round offs. All of those skills are B's and receive the same judging and scores as the other flight skills.

The reason most people choose back handsprings over round offs and front handsprings is because of the fact that round offs and front handsprings lead to less skills, and back handsprings are very important in higher level gymnastics such as levels 9 and 10.

Hope this helped!

Also, the flight skill area is in the same area as the series, so if you do not connect your series, and you do not get your flight, then your start value is still just a 9.5.
I'm no expert but are you sure about this?

Also, we have seen SV of 9.5 and 9.7 in a routine that has the flight element found only in a series. Consequently, our gym now only does the flight element separate from the series.

BTW, I agree that a standalone round off can get full credit with no/minimal deduction. We have plenty of those in our competing region and many of these routines score really well.

No. They are two separate SRs. Missing one would be a 9.5 SV, missing both would be a 9.0 SV. If a gymnast did BWO BHS she would be fulfilling both simultaneously but even if she went BWO, stop, BHS then she would just miss the series and still get credit for the flight element (assuming she gets her feet on the beam to complete skill).

Most L7s roundoffs I've seen pike down. It's April. Most optional seasons don't start for another more than six months. Work the BHS.

The SR is min. of 2 acro elements directly connected (with or without flight) AND a flight element. It's combined into 1 SR.

Also, we have seen SV of 9.5 and 9.7 in a routine that has the flight element found only in a series. Consequently, our gym now only does the flight element separate from the series.

The 9.5 SV would indicate that the gymnast was missing a SR. The 9.7 SV would be a missing B. All of our 7s do a series with a flight element, and they're consistently at a 10 SV.

No. They are two separate SRs. Missing one would be a 9.5 SV, missing both would be a 9.0 SV. If a gymnast did BWO BHS she would be fulfilling both simultaneously but even if she went BWO, stop, BHS then she would just miss the series and still get credit for the flight element (assuming she gets her feet on the beam to complete skill).

Most L7s roundoffs I've seen pike down. It's April. Most optional seasons don't start for another more than six months. Work the BHS.

At least in my region, they are in the same group. I know this personally, because one of my teammates did not connect their series, OR have a flight. They had a 9.5 SV. I've done this as well. It does not get put down to a 9.0 SV I am pretty sure about this in my region at least.

To answer NotAMom's question, the reason that 9.5 and 9.7 SV's result is tricky. If you have your flight, but miss your connection for series, you still have a 9.5 SV.

Flight/Series- .5
Each B skill- .3
Each A skill- .1

You could receive a 9.5 SV if you are missing a B skill, and two A skills, while still having a flight. You could also do that if you are missing your connection on your series, it is a 9.5 then as well. You can get a 9.7 easily if you miss a B skill. It happens a lot. The requirements are tough. That's why most people tend to stick to the same area of skills for each level.

:: USA Gymnastics ::

Check out this link - it's true, they're both in the same box. (Flight and series that is).

I'd guess this wasn't always the case, back when the flight had to be isolated from a series and that might be where the confusion comes from?

you can either do a round off, bhs, or dive cartwheel. The coach just might want her to have her bhs because she will need it later in level8 and up

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back