Laurie Goes Pro

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Re: not waiting till after the Olympics, I wonder if the deal she was offered was contingent on her signing now. Like perhaps this sponsor wants to run ads with hur during the lead up and early days of the Olympics and it was a lot of money that would not be there after the Olympics. I wonder if Jordyn Weiber was the same situation cause she signed her pro stuff right before the Olympics too.

Does anyone remember when Gabby went pro in relationship to London?

I don't question Lauries decision so much as the system that forces them to choose at such a young age. I think as much as she wishes she could compete with that UCLA team, Weiber still says she doesn't regret the decision to go pro, it brought with it its own opportunities.

Gymnastics is such a unique sport. You often peak as a teenager, before college, and there no multimillion dollar pro contracts after college. The earning potential really exists only in that peak window.

There was a video of Jordyn that someone recently posted (something like Jordyn Weiber 4 years later it was called). It seemed clear from that video that Jordyn regretted her decision to go pro cause she missed out on being able to compete college gym. She might not have said those exact words, but the message was quite obvious.

Now it may have been a different story had she made AA finals and won a gold medal, etc.

Hopefully things work out differently for Laurie.

Just read on another forum that Laurie hasn't been training bars and that she won't be doing AA...obviously have no proof though.

Just read on another forum that Laurie hasn't been training bars and that she won't be doing AA...obviously have no proof though.

I just saw the line ups from podium training today and Laurie was last up on bars. Could be telling.

Her bars weren't looking their best in podium training today. I'm hoping she makes individual beam final , she has a chance on floor too.

Reactions: sce
Her bars weren't looking their best in podium training today. I'm hoping she makes individual beam final , she has a chance on floor too.
Agree, Laurie's bars did not look strong, am assuming that is what they have been looking like and I think she made Martha decision easier.(I think Aly's routine in podium training may have actually out scored hers) She won't make floor final ahead of Simone and Aly unless one of them makes a major error. Decent shot on beam, though, should be neck and neck with Aly there.

Madison's entire competitive time at the Olympics will be less than 2 minutes ( 3 bar routines) long. She is important on bars and serves as an internal alternate.

There was a video of Jordyn that someone recently posted (something like Jordyn Weiber 4 years later it was called). It seemed clear from that video that Jordyn regretted her decision to go pro cause she missed out on being able to compete college gym. She might not have said those exact words, but the message was quite obvious.

Was there a reason why Jordyn didn't try a comeback for Rio like Gabby and Aly did?
NCAA rules?

Was there a reason why Jordyn didn't try a comeback for Rio like Gabby and Aly did?
NCAA rules?

No, in that same video she says she decided to quit. It's been a while since I watched it so I don't remember the reasoning behind that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

What does this mean? (I'm from the UK and no idea); here I think the only way gymnasts make any money is from small sponsorship deals (seem to be getting better), some grant funding to cover living expenses while training, but it's not like a professional sport like football is here. Can it be in the US?

What does this mean? (I'm from the UK and no idea); here I think the only way gymnasts make any money is from small sponsorship deals (seem to be getting better), some grant funding to cover living expenses while training, but it's not like a professional sport like football is here. Can it be in the US?

It means they can accept money from sponsors, doing the post-Olympic tour, etc...It isn't a professional sport, but the girls can make quite a bit of money from endorsements.

It means they can accept money from sponsors, doing the post-Olympic tour, etc...It isn't a professional sport, but the girls can make quite a bit of money from endorsements.
Am I right in thinking this means they won't be able to compete at college level/get a college scholarship? But they could still compete at a national/international level?

Reactions: sce
It's not a crazy amount but I think Gabby supposedly made $3-4 million after London. Simone already has sponsorships from Nike, Kellog's, and GK...not sure of others.

If she is good at public speaking and can get "known" it can lead to a career. Shawn, Nastia even Mary Lou have all benefited long term from turning pro.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back