Laurie Goes Pro

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
Bad news for Florida and college gym fans everywhere, but well deserved. She's a marketing dream with her personality.

Between the Baumann injury, Ernst losing her scholarship due to the shoulder injuries and now this... Florida may one day have to stop putting all their eggs in the elite basket. They've got some holes to fill now. But I digress as that's off the Rio topic.

Laurie seems a bit young to decide to be pro, but I guess she got some good offers. And making that decision prior to the Olympics is risky.

Regardless, I bet she'll be in for the AA at qualifications now ;). I worried that her not being backed by sponsors would hurt her chances of getting that chance. I bet Gabby sponsors are a bit more nervous now - unless they are one in the same and just hedging their bets.

Laurie seems a bit young to decide to be pro, but I guess she got some good offers. And making that decision prior to the Olympics is risky.

Regardless, I bet she'll be in for the AA at qualifications now ;). I worried that her not being backed by sponsors would hurt her chances of getting that chance. I bet Gabby sponsors are a bit more nervous now - unless they are one in the same and just hedging their bets.
She is a ground-breaking Latina gymnast with infectious enthusiasm. I cannot blame her one bit. College will always be there for her. Opportunity knocks.

Noooooooooo....I'm happy for her but so sad at the same time. Could you imagine what her collegiate routines would have looked like with all that sass and personality?? She would probably have been one of the most entertaining college gymnasts the NCAA has ever seen!.

But I'm sure she wouldn't have went pro if she didm't have some amazing offers, I think everyone is expecting her to medal for AA, if she gets the opportunity to compete AA. I really hope she does. Big Laurie fan!

Noooooooooo....I'm happy for her but so sad at the same time. Could you imagine what her collegiate routines would have looked like with all that sass and personality?? She would probably have been one of the most entertaining college gymnasts the NCAA has ever seen!.

But I'm sure she wouldn't have went pro if she didm't have some amazing offers, I think everyone is expecting her to medal for AA, if she gets the opportunity to compete AA. I really hope she does. Big Laurie fan!
So, can she compete as a nonscholarship
Athlete at all?

Love her, and excited for her!

When reading this thread I can't help but think of Weiber in 2012...she was supposed to be on her way to AA finals too. Years later I think she wishes she could have been competing on the floor along side her UCLA teammates. I hope years down the road Laurie isn't watching Jazzy compete for Florida and wish she could be out there too.

Truly didn't mean to be such a downer. I hope nothing but the best for all of these girls. It just makes me sad that they must make a decision at 16 years old whether to go pro.

So can you not compete JO/Elite once you finish high school?
Once you've competed elite can you go to JO?

I guess to me (Australia no college gymnastics etc here) I think why not make the money to pay for college and maybe network career opportunities whilst you can; not bank on being physically fit/want to commit to another 4 years of competing in college (which from what I've read here is pretty cut throat and hard. )
If you want to continue gymnastics can you not just continue to compete club?
Whilst many 16 year olds may still have the I never want to give up gymnastics dream lots are realizing how hard it is physically/time/mentally and I'm not even talking elite gymnasts .
She has reached a pinnacle of her career.
Why not cash in rather than hope the body and love of the sport would carry through a college scholarship that she surely can make enough money to pay anyway.

Or am I way off mark? Sorry such a different system to here

You can compete JO or elite at any age. Once you have competed elite you can move down to JO ( others can give you specific rules). Most college students that want to continue either compete NCAA or their college club.

So can you not compete JO/Elite once you finish high school?
Once you've competed elite can you go to JO?

I guess to me (Australia no college gymnastics etc here) I think why not make the money to pay for college and maybe network career opportunities whilst you can; not bank on being physically fit/want to commit to another 4 years of competing in college (which from what I've read here is pretty cut throat and hard. )
If you want to continue gymnastics can you not just continue to compete club?
Whilst many 16 year olds may still have the I never want to give up gymnastics dream lots are realizing how hard it is physically/time/mentally and I'm not even talking elite gymnasts .
She has reached a pinnacle of her career.
Why not cash in rather than hope the body and love of the sport would carry through a college scholarship that she surely can make enough money to pay anyway.

Or am I way off mark? Sorry such a different system to here

Couldn't agree more! she signed now, rather than later, because the offer might not be there later. If she has a horrible meet, gets injured, etc. YOu sign when you can and the offer is there. She can still go to college, just cannot compete college. She can still do gymnastics. I say..congrats to her :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back