Leave team for rec?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

standsonherhands

Has any body left team for rec? My level 5 decided the hours required for team are too much for her. I watched the suggested rec class and it definitely wasn't going to be fun for her because she clearly outpaced all the girls at that level. The gym has one higher level rec class to check out, so that might still be an option, but I'm not feeling optimistic. Does any one have experience with this kind of change from team to rec? If so, I would love to hear your story.

I don't have any experience re:team to rec, but there was a girl from my daughter's pre-team went from gymnastics team to tumbling and trampoline team and loves it! The T&T team meets fewer hours and it's a little more relaxed. Don't know if that would be an option for your daughter, but thought I would throw that out there.

Does your gym offer mod optional? It is kind of like between 5 and 6 skill wise, it isn't USAG and you get optional routines and many practice for less hours. Granted this is only if she still wants to compete.

Does your gym have Prep Opt? Where I live (Region 6) the prep opt program is a good option (at least in my state) and in fact at our gym, there are many girls who could easily be USAG but want more flexibility. They can enjoy competing but with less hours. At our gym, Prep Int (about Level 5/6) practices 9 hours a week. I know some girls who went from USAG to Prep Opt after Level 6 because they just wanted a life outside the gym. I think around 7/8th grade and HS, girls are looking at a bigger picture outside the gym. My daughter is Level 6 (6th grade) and still thrilled with what she's doing but I'm open for other options if she wants another track. It's a great option here...not sure about other states.

Don't worry about your daughter, my friend emma was a level 5 IDP aka international (which includes things like giants ect) she went back to gym sports which is like a rec class and loves the no pressure, maybe your daughter would liek to be in a class where she thrives and is the best in the class? classes often seem like low skills but a part of rec is ASKING what skills you want to learn, if your daughter was in this class she wouldn't have to be foccusing on nailing her level 5 routines but more along the lines of learning awesome skills quicker, I'm in a rec class and love it im level 3/4 on everything but bars. I LOVE REC, i'm sure your daughter will too :)

I am assuming she is USAG L5? There are some other programs out there (depends on where you live) that are step up from rec, less hours, yet still competative & fun. Check your gym and gyms in your area. In NJ there is JOGA. There is also USAIGC (there is a website if you want to look for gyms that have teams in your state) which is in all states I think. Other states have other programs such as MDL or Prep Opt. Some gyms have trampoline teams too! In Summer my DD enjoys diving in addition to gymnastics and some area's offer dive team all year round. Good luck!

I don't know if your gym offers this but our club recently started an advanced senior rec which is basically a class for ex competitive gymnasts maybe you could see if your gym (or another local gym) offers that sort of program

There are really a lot of options available to your DD other than "just a rec class." My DD did prep op for a year after training for L7 and it was such a great year for her! As gumgurl stated, there are also classes available for ex-competitive gymnasts at some gyms. They just get to learn skills, but not compete. I don't know who old your DD is, but if she still likes the competition aspect, I'd definitely check out some type of prep optional program for her!

My oldest dd did that a few years ago. She and another level 5 both left and went to an advanced rec class that was 1 1/2 hrs per week. Her friend lasted about a semester and dd stayed in for the year. After that, she went to a tumbling only class. Her favorite event was bars, so when she wanted to tumble only, I was a little suprised. She loved the fast pace of the class and enjoyed learning new things without having to bother with perfect form. She was 9 when she left the team. She eventually left gymnastics completely (but it took a few years) and now plays basketball, volleyball, and softball. My youngest competes level 4 now so oldest dd continues to see gym friends.

Our club also offers an advanced rec programme for ex team girls only. Seems to work well and they have all ages in it. We also have afew girls on team that do not do meets and train less hours. It all depends on your gyms philosophy.

THe T&T thing might be a fun option though, the hours are usually way less and they can compete different levels on each apparatus.

Good luck, it is smart parenting, but not easy parenting.

Thanks everyone. Her gym does have some girls do prep opt, and another area gym has a great T&T program, so both of these are great options. I think the whole family is relieved she is done, so I'm not inclined to move back toward USAG. But I do hope she does something in the gym again after taking a break. She has lots of talent, but perhaps even more wisdom (at her 7 years) to know that the demands of team were not for her. Thanks to all of you and CB for great advice and information.

Mom, congrats to you for listening to your dd and not forcing her to do another summer of gym or another year of team. She has alot of options out there if she wants to continue in gymnastics and certainly there are many other activities she can try and have fun doing.
Good luck!

Usually girls who leave team either leave the sport all together or go to PrepOp teams where they can still compete with less hours of training.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back