WAG Left aerial, then right aerial on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Beccameow89

Gymnast
Reaction score
I can't find any information on this. My left leg is my dominant leg. When I was younger, I made myself do both left and right aerials. Doing it on the right felt weird but I eventually got used to it. I never competed in gymnastics, but I was wondering: Can a gymnast do a left aerial on the beam immediately followed by a right aerial? Is that allowed? Do gymnasts ever do this and what would be the rating?

I don't think I can name a gymnast who can do an aerial with both of their dominant and non-dominant legs. I think it would be tricky to get enough powere to connect both of them together, but I think it would look really neat. In DP (can only compete aerials in 9/10), NCAA, and Elite, an aerial is rated a "D" (0.4), so if they both were connected, it would be a "D" + "D" connection, which gets 0.2 bonus connection in DP and NCAA and a 0.1 bonus connection in Elite.

I don't think I can name a gymnast who can do an aerial with both of their dominant and non-dominant legs. I think it would be tricky to get enough powere to connect both of them together, but I think it would look really neat. In DP (can only compete aerials in 9/10), NCAA, and Elite, an aerial is rated a "D" (0.4), so if they both were connected, it would be a "D" + "D" connection, which gets 0.2 bonus connection in DP and NCAA and a 0.1 bonus connection in Elite.
Oh ok. Yeah I used to be able to do both a right and left aerial. I practiced for a long time to be able to do both sides. But now I can only do a left and right cartwheel 😂. Thanks for answering.

I'm a little confused here...how would the connection work? If its swing through (like cartwheel round off) wouldn't it be same leg aerials?

I'm a little confused here...how would the connection work? If its swing through (like cartwheel round off) wouldn't it be same leg aerials?
If you do a left aerial, you end with your right leg in front. So you would just use the right leg to push off and do a right aerial.

If you do a left aerial, you end with your right leg in front. So you would just use the right leg to push off and do a right aerial.
Ooh that makes sense. I was imagining that you'd at least have to lift your front leg to have enough power but i guess people can do it without that too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Mo-Salto Club

Back