"Let's Get Ready to Tumble"-what do you reckon?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Yea or nay?

As in the BBC's answer to Splash!- celebrities doing gymnastics. Beth and Louis are reportedly signed up.

I can't really see how it'll work, unless they have a gymnastics, or possibly dance, background, even simple stuff like a cartwheel will be tricky. What about the more mature contestant?

How do you think they'll make it entertaining? Dancing on ice, come dancing, and even Splash at least has a mix of celebs, and we can laugh at the uncoordinated ones, and be amazed by the professional partners.

Guess we'll have to wait and see!

ooooh, haven't see this - If the young fit kids take a while to get a cartwheel, unless they have them harnessed it will only work with sports stars ( think Austin Healy......hmmm................) where was I, or dancers/ice skaters. Who wants to see Paul Ross doing rolypolys ? P&F is already scathing of Splash (look at those feet on entry mummy)

Hmmm.

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they show celebs doing headstands then no-one will watch. If they encourage them to throw as much as they can the great British public will be happy to believe that skills can be learned in a few sessions, so how hard can it be...

Boring or easy. Neither are terms I would apply to gymnastics, but I'm a bit worried how they're going to find any space in between.

Sounds like a dumb idea really. My guess is they will have to train loads of unseen hours o do anything at all.

I wouldn't mind IF they said "Fred has trained 24 hours for 6 weeks to do this skill", but that wont happen will it

Not quite sure what I think about this. I think the stars already do a lot of unseen training for shows such as strictly and dancing on ice. I kind of like the idea that the general public might get a better idea of what gymnasts do and how hard it is, but can't see how they will be able to do anything remotely clever or interesting without months of unseen training. I wonder if ice skaters thought similar? I'm not even sure being super fit in another sport will help. Unless they're already in training (and if so, where?) if secret training commences anytime soon, for various reasons, I'll be one of the first to know. I think it must be a long way off especially as Beth is currently doing DOI.

I think it's only as far as the commissioning stage;

Let’s Get Ready To Tumble (w/t) is a live, Saturday night competition featuring some of the nation’s best-loved celebrities vaulting, tumbling and flipping head-over-heels to try and win the public’s votes. The complete amateurs will be given a crash course in the basics of gymnastics before teaming up with the highest-flying, gravity-defying gymnasts from across the globe to tackle never-before-seen, new-to-TV disciplines.

With the full backing of British Gymnastics, the trainers who helped take Louis Smith and Beth Tweddle to Olympic glory are ready to turn the nation’s pop stars, actors, newsreaders and chefs into heroes of the high bars and titans of the tumble track.

Katie Taylor, Controller of Entertainment and Events, says: “One thing’s for certain, you can expect the celebs to be pushed out of their comfort zone in what is probably the most physically demanding show of its kind anywhere in the world.”

Let’s Get Ready To Tumble (w/t) was developed by Leon Wilde and BBC In-house Entertainment’s Format Development Team. BBC commissioner is Mirella Breda.

At least with DOI/strictly/splash they can get away with not being able to do much- most people can learn to skate around a rink/learn a dance/jump off a high thing. But gymnastics? If you can't cartwheel (and most adults can't), what are you left with?

Does anyone remember the celebrity fit thing they did years ago, where they tried loads of different sports? *This* is what they managed..

Cringe, cringe....especially where they say "she looks like a gymnast". Does anyone know who the male coach at the end is? DD thinks she has seen him before?

I love things like this and thought "The Games" was a television highlight (they should bring it back). The Games videos are very cringe!
I heard something about them doing a ski-jumping celeb TV show as well.

Brits before they got that affected drop your R thing.

I call that the "Cambridge R" You tend to find it in individuals who attended Cambwidge University for some reason. Commoners who talk like what I do don't so it unless they have an actual speech impediment (actually, I'm Northern and speak more like the presenter in the clip below). But you like the posho's over there ;)

AerialRiver no, it's a BBC commissioned thing. Their rivals ITV (yes, we still only have 5 "main" terrestrial channels) have managed to get a ratings success from Splash!, which involves Tom Daley getting his kit off, then a few Z list celebs hurling themselves comically from as high a board as they dare, resulting in minor bruising. Usually wearing a gold foil bikini/speedo.

See here;

Lol.... I was wondering what on earth this strange "affected drop your R" accusation was referring to. I've been pottering about this morning trying to mutter words without pronouncing the r and failing. Clearly I don't mix with enough people who attended Cambridge. Or indeed with enough Americans who don't pronounce anything properly anyway :p;)

I am trying to write whilst still chortling evilly over the alleged 'tumble pass' in above video clip. I suspect that a gymnastics reality show will quickly go the way of the show-jumping reality show in which they quickly realised that it isn't wise to put untrained celebs on half a ton of expensive horse and point them in the direction of large jumps. Yes there is a reason why those of us who ride spent years trotting over cavaletti and going over tiny jumps before tackling anything over a metre, and another reason why many of us have stopped the craziness now that we are grown-up and the word 'paralysis' doesn't seem like an abstract concept. Would happily watch Louis and Beth having a go at training politicians to do cartwheels though...

Lol.... I was wondering what on earth this strange "affected drop your R" accusation was referring to. I've been pottering about this morning trying to mutter words without pronouncing the r and failing. Clearly I don't mix with enough people who attended Cambridge. Or indeed with enough Americans who don't pronounce anything properly anyway :p;)

I don't actually think it's a *thing* :p. I had a professor back in college who couldn't say his 'r's, and went on about when he "was up at Cambwidge", so it sort of became an in-joke.

I'm not sure where the "affected drop your R" thing comes from either. Especially as most Brit actors affect an american accent these days anyway…. :lightbulb:- Maybe emorymom thinks Damian Lewis/Hugh Laurie/Kevin Mckidd/Alan Cumming are American? Or maybe she thinks the video clips are from US shows?

Its not only the Brit actors - there are hundreds of Antipideans as well !

I always remember being surprised when I noticed that there were regional accents in foreign countries. It was when I went to Uni in the North of France and everyone had hysterics as I spoke French with a broad Toulouse accent - up until that point French had been French to me !

I do RP with a westcountry intonation friends always accused me locally of talking "posh" and most people put me as South East - I blame my parents who were Welsh !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back